none
Terminal Services 2008 Printing Error

Question

• I have problem with printers in users session. Almost everyday  I'm getting timeout errors:

- A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UxSms service. (Event ID 7011)

- A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service. (Event ID 7011)

- A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UmRdpService service. (Event ID 7011)

After that, users are  unable to auto-create printers in the user’s session.

Terminal server: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Clients: Win XP with RDC 6.1

About 20 simultaneous connections with various HP printers (using Remote Deskotp Easy Print)

Anybody can help?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hello,

UxSms : Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
    UmRdpService : Terminal services usemode port redirector
    Netman: Network connections

I would like you to increase the service time out to ~60 seconds:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Dword value: ServicesPipeTimeout=60000(Dec), if its not present, please create one.

Are we also getting Print Spooler service to crash on the machine?

Since it's a x64 based machine, I really don't think that we are seeing any sort of resource depletion due to which the service is getting timed out.

~Cheers Visit my Blog@ http://blog.helpforsure.info
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:04 PM

All replies

• About how to configure printers in TS has an article on the blog http://dimsan.blogspot.com/2009/08/terminal-services-and-redirect-printers.html

and the isolation of the printer driver in Windows 2008 r2 http://dimsan.blogspot.com/2009/08/windows-7-server-2008-r2.html

Dimsan_
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Hello,

UxSms : Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
    UmRdpService : Terminal services usemode port redirector
    Netman: Network connections

I would like you to increase the service time out to ~60 seconds:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Dword value: ServicesPipeTimeout=60000(Dec), if its not present, please create one.

Are we also getting Print Spooler service to crash on the machine?

Since it's a x64 based machine, I really don't think that we are seeing any sort of resource depletion due to which the service is getting timed out.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Hi,

I increased service time out to 60 sec today, but from 19th april everything seems to be fine.

We'll wait for next error and then we'll know if it helped. There is no error in system logs about Print Spooler service.

New error shows in logs:

- DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer "computer name" using any of the configured protocols. (Event ID 10009) - this error concerns only a few computers

Thanks for help

Friday, April 23, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Hi there,

Okay. Could you please post the complete event id, this could occur due to multiple reasons. The most common troubleshooting scenarios are documented in this KB article, hope it helps--> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910695/en-us

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:12 AM
  • I am also seeing similar things on two Server 2008 machines using Easy print.  One of them is 2008 and the other is 2008R2.  It seems very randomly we get the same service timeout messages and then no one gets printers.  It does not seem load related because it has happened during high and low usage periods.  I also have noticed DCOM error messages except I see event ID 10010.  The only thing that seems to make the problem go away is to stop and restart the print spooler.  The problem with restarting the spooler is all printers are set to offline and when there are 200+ users logged in that becomes an issue.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          4/29/2010 10:31:33 AM
    Event ID:      10010
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      xxx.xxx.com
    Description:
    The server {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Was your problem fixed?

I have the same problem.

I just have to restart spooler service and umrdpservice manay times a day.

This is crazy!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Any one found a solution to this?  I am experiencing the same issue.  I believe it may be related to a printer driver that has been loaded on the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:13 AM
  • I have the same problem.
    Already changed the time, but still with error messages.

Something I can do to solve?
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:30 PM
  • I have the same issue(s).  The printer spooler will be stopped for no reason. Nothing in the event log as to why it stopped.  Sometimes, i can find messages that say "Print Spooler Services as terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 times.", but nothing else.  I've found the: "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Spooler service." error message as well.  Nothing concrete though.  

Sometimes this happens multiple times a day, sometimes it is a week inbetween.

Users: 10-15 users per day

Printers:  Multiple Lexmark printers all using the Lexmark Universal Printer Driver  (latest one 1.6.1, it fails on 1.6.0 as well). Using both the PCL and PS Universal Drivers. (Not all of our printers have 64bit drivers available)
    I have a Laserjet 4 printer installed as well, using the MS Driver
    I have 2 application "PDF printers" installed, one is using amyuni 2.51 the other amyuni 4.00.  (Both work with no issues when the print spooler service is up.)

Now, if I leave my admin session open on the server, sometimes (not always or alot), i'll see the "Interactive Service Request" popup, when I go there, its the properties for one of the printers. If i click OK, it goes away and I go back to my desktop.  Service is still running.

Once, I've had the same thing, but there was a popup with spoolsv.exe error code exit 1908 (or 1998) and it just kept coming up. I restarted the spooler service and that went away.  I haven't had it come back though. Funny how having your phone continuously ring for 10 mins will prompt you to just restart something instead of fixing...

Anyway, this server has been having issues so I removed all the old printers from the Control Panel\Printers applet.  
    Also, I've deleted all the printers out of printer management (effectively removing any old printers and drivers), then re added in just the latest drivers and printers.  The issue still persists.
    I've disabled printer redirection on the server as well.  All printers are run through a Windows 2003 print server.  All the printers that we use have the Lexmark UPD driver.  

Does anyone know of a log or way I can track what was the last thing that went through the spooler service?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now and I just wanted to chime in with a possibility. We recently went three weeks without having to restart the print spooler and after checking my logs, that time frame coincides almost exactly with my troubleshooting of our Amyuni 400 based PDF generator. 3 weeks ago I switched to a different PDF printer after the Amyuni one started giving us some errors. Earlier this week, a user said the new printer (CutePDF) was taking to long for certain jobs and asked me to look into fixing the problem with the Amyuni. Yesterday I reinstalled the Amyuni printer and today I had to restart the the print spooler for the first time in a while.

It could just be a coincidence, but after seeing a previous poster with a Win2k8 TS server(same as we run) and a Amyuni printer, I figured it was worth mentioning.

Friday, February 24, 2012 2:51 PM