none
Does using Group Policy Preferences to deploy printers require the print driver to be pre-installed?

Question

• I'm trying to prepare our school system for Windows 7 (we currently use XP).  I would like to use the new Group Policy Preferences method of deploying printers.  I pushed out the XP client side extensions through WSUS.  In my test environment, I added the shared printer in group policy preferences.  My XP machine had the printers show up automatically, but my Windows 7 machine did not.  I realized that I had previously connected a printer of the same type to my XP machine before and the drivers were already installed.  To test this theory, I manually connected the shared printers to the Windows 7 machine, deleted them, then logged off and back on.  Now the printers are showing up from group policy.  My question is does using group policy preferences to deploy printers require the print driver to be pre-installed?  If not, then what am I doing wrong?  If so, is there a way to work around this?  Thanks for your help.

EDIT:  To clarify, I am using the share method in GPP.  This is the error message I get in the event log:

The user 'PRINTERNAME' preference item in the 'win7 printer test {946461A1-27F8-406F-A0B3-0A1A05AF34F6}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.' This error was suppressed.
    • Edited by Mike Amatrudo Monday, October 19, 2009 5:59 PM Clarification
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• No, it is usually not necessary to preinstall a driver before deploying via GPP.
    Installing should be done by GPP CSE by retrieiving the driver from the printer share.

Please give some more details:
    - what is the printer type and driver including version?
    - is the printer driver digitally signed ?
    - which platform is your Win 7? 32 or 64 bit? does your driver fit to that platform ?
    Patrick
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Do you have the Windows 7 printer driver installed on the Print Server sharing the printer? Windows 7 needs to pull drivers from somewhere and usually that's the print server.
    In your print server go to Printers and Faxes, the rightbar has Server Properties. And check under the Drivers tab that you have the correct drivers for Windows 7 installed.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:53 PM
  • This sounds like it's going to fix it.  I've never had this problem before.  We have 2000 and 2003 servers.  I went on a 2000 box and downloaded the HP Universal Print driver for Windows 7.  I went into printers and into server properties.  I clicked add driver and selected the universal print driver.  Now it wants me to choose an environment (OS) that the printer will be installed under.  Since this is a Windows 2000 server, Windows 7 or Vista is not listed as an option.  Is there an update for this?  Am I doing this wrong?  Thanks again.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Seems like you are going to have to add the drivers, to the server using one of the Windows 7 clients. I found an article explaining how to do this on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003 but I'm guessing this should do it fix it for you also.
    http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2008/09/19/installing-windows-vista-print-drivers-on-windows-server-2003.aspx
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Just checking if you had time to take a look at my answer?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi

I had the same problem. Found the sollution here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

You have to approve whitch printserver(s) or forest you can download drivers from. Works like a charm!

Monday, March 15, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Hi

I had the same problem. Found the sollution here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

You have to approve whitch printserver(s) or forest you can download drivers from. Works like a charm!

My windows 2003 based server doesn't seem to have the group policy objects detailed in the link above.  Is it possible the linked article is aimed at windows 2008 based servers?

I'm having the same issue as the original poster, my batch file to add printers won't work for users on the new win 7 machines as it prompts for rights to install the driver.

Monday, March 22, 2010 11:15 AM
  • Not Sure, but the article says you have to have the GPMC from Windows 2008 R2. Try from a member server first.
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Not Sure, but the article says you have to have the GPMC from Windows 2008 R2. Try from a member server first.
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:07 PM
  • I have been beating my head against the wall with this.  It seems like it should be so easy.

I have a Server 2008 64 bit domain controller.  Clients are Windows 7 32 bit.  I have two printers on the server that I want to automatically deploy to specific users. 

I have both the 64 and 32 bit drivers on the server.  A non-admin user can go to a client and "add printer" and the drivers download and it works fine.

I have a gpo that attempts to map by using User Configuration>Preferences>Control Panel Settings>Printers and is set to "Update" the printer.  I have also set the Point and Print settings in Policies>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Printers to Enabled.

This type of gpo works great for shared network drives, but it doesn't seem to do anything for the printers.  I expect to see the shared printers appear in the Printers list of the client but noting. 

The user has security permission to use the printer and is specified as execution list for the GPO.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I have read post after post, and it seems like it should work?

Thanks

Russ

Monday, January 17, 2011 9:09 AM
  • I have been beating my head against the wall with this.  It seems like it should be so easy.

I have a Server 2008 64 bit domain controller.  Clients are Windows 7 32 bit.  I have two printers on the server that I want to automatically deploy to specific users. 

I have both the 64 and 32 bit drivers on the server.  A non-admin user can go to a client and "add printer" and the drivers download and it works fine.

I have a gpo that attempts to map by using User Configuration>Preferences>Control Panel Settings>Printers and is set to "Update" the printer.  I have also set the Point and Print settings in Policies>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Printers to Enabled.

This type of gpo works great for shared network drives, but it doesn't seem to do anything for the printers.  I expect to see the shared printers appear in the Printers list of the client but noting. 

The user has security permission to use the printer and is specified as execution list for the GPO.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I have read post after post, and it seems like it should work?

Thanks

Russ

same EXACT issue here! 

What the heck is going on?

These GPP obejects work perfect on xp machines but win 7 and nothing! 

SOOOO frustrating been on this issue for 2 days now with a full 108 machine windows 7 deployment being delayed.

is it a certain type of driver that is not working? ive tried 6 diferent printer models and none work.  when i \\server\ and connet to the printer it downloads drivers and works fine. 

There is some setting that is suppressing this from applying correctly.  please someone help!

Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:39 AM
  • Set the Point and Print Restriction setting in Policies>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Printers to Disabled.  Then your clients can accept drivers from any print server.  

This has been verified for Windows 7 64 OS getting shared printers from a 2k8 R2 server with 32 and 64 bit print drivers on server.  Printers are shared by Group Policy Preference User Configuration>Preferences>Control Panel Settings>Printers and set as Update.

Reference:

http://serverfault.com/questions/76706/mapping-printers-using-group-policy-preferences-works-on-windows-xp-not-on-wind

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by w00t85 Friday, April 08, 2011 5:20 AM
    Friday, April 08, 2011 5:13 AM