none
HTTPS - Certificate does not show up on IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I received a .cer file to setup HTTPS on my IIS.

After installation (on computer/personal store) the certificate does not show up on "website >> site bindings >> SSL Certificate dropdown" nor on "server certificates".

What can I do to resolve this?

Thank you so much,

PG

Monday, July 10, 2017 10:39 PM

Answers

• Did you request the certificate on this same server? If not, it is likely that the private key is missing.

When you open the certificate from Certificate Services (in MMC) does it state "You have a private key that coresponds to this certificate" down the bottom?

If not, I'd recommend going back to where the CER file was exported from and export with private key (PFX) file.

If you don't have access to this system, you may need to get the certificate re-issued -which I would request from the IIS server you are trying to install on.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful", if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | CISSP, CISM, CEH, GIAC, MCSE (Security)
    Twitter @georgathomas

This forum post is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

• Marked as answer by PangDev Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:08 AM

All replies

• Did you request the certificate on this same server? If not, it is likely that the private key is missing.

When you open the certificate from Certificate Services (in MMC) does it state "You have a private key that coresponds to this certificate" down the bottom?

If not, I'd recommend going back to where the CER file was exported from and export with private key (PFX) file.

If you don't have access to this system, you may need to get the certificate re-issued -which I would request from the IIS server you are trying to install on.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful", if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | CISSP, CISM, CEH, GIAC, MCSE (Security)
    Twitter @georgathomas

This forum post is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

• Marked as answer by PangDev Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:08 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Georg.

The Server Certificates module in IIS manager displays a list of certificates from the Local Machine SSL store.

But it only lists the certificate if

1. The certificate has a private key.

2. The certificate is meant for Server Authentication.

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:33 AM