none
ESENT error 910. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I am looking into an issue I am having with one of my VM's. The details of the host and guest servers are;

Host.

• Dell R715
    • Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V
    • 2x AMD Opertron 6320
    • 32GB RAM
    • Locical Drive 1 - 320GB for OS and ISO store.
    • Logical Drive 2 - 600GB for DC VM, Application server and DirSync server.
    • Logical Drive 3 - 1.2TB for File server. THIS IS THE SERVER WITH THE ISSUE.
    • All 3 logical drives above are made of 2x drives in the respective size in RAID 1. (eg, 2x 1.2TB drive for files server)

Guest.

• Server 2012 R2 DC, used for second DC and file storage.
    • 4 logical cores
    • 4GB RAM

Both systems are fully updated.

Every now and then I get reports of the guest server hanging for about 20-30 min after which it runs fine for some time, often days before happening again. Looking through the event logs the only corresponding error I see is a warning, ESENT, ID 910 with the following details;

svchost (3588) The database cache size maintenance task has taken 60 seconds without completing. This may result in severe performance degradation. Current cache size is 1 buffers above the configured cache limit (120 percent of target). Cache size maintenance evicted 0 buffers, made 0 flush attempts, and successfully flushed 0 buffers. It has run 5727 times since maintenance was triggered.

And,

svchost (3588) The database cache size maintenance task has taken 60 seconds without completing. This may result in severe performance degradation. Current cache size is 1 buffers above the configured cache limit (120 percent of target). Cache size maintenance evicted 0 buffers, made 0 flush attempts, and successfully flushed 0 buffers. It has run 5727 times since maintenance was triggered.

All my research shows up information for Win7 and 8 but I I'm not seeing anything that is similar to what I am getting. Those that do show relevant info point to hardware failure but the drives are only about 6 weeks old plus the diagnostics tools show that the drives are fine. The previous time this happened resulted in the following PID's also showing up under ESENT 910.

• lsass (612)
    • svchost (2884)
    • svchost (2728) A request to read from the file "C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum\Current.mdb" at offset 151552 (0x0000000000025000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes has not completed for 36 second(s). This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.
    • lsass (600) The database cache size maintenance task has taken 60 seconds without completing. This may result in severe performance degradation. Current cache size is 3 buffers above the configured cache limit (133 percent of target). Cache size maintenance evicted 1 buffers, made 1 flush attempts, and successfully flushed 0 buffers. It has run 5727 times since maintenance was triggered.
    • svchost (2728) A request to read from the file "C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum\Current.mdb" at offset 151552 (0x0000000000025000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (36 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.
    • lsass (600) The database engine attempted a clean write operation on page 610 of database C:\Windows\NTDS\ntds.dit. This action was performed in an attempt to correct a previous problem reading from the page.
    • svchost (2728) The database engine attempted a clean write operation on page 36 of database C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum\Current.mdb. This action was performed in an attempt to correct a previous problem reading from the page.

Apologies for the information overload, hopefully there is sufficient details to start to troubleshoot this problem.

Look forward to your support!

Jason.

Monday, October 13, 2014 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Joson,

To narrow down this issue, I recommend you can find the issued service, If the number 3588 in svchost (3588) of event ID 910 is the PID of the process,  you can run the powershell script below to list the services related to this process:

$results=@()
        $processid = 552
        $process=Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Process -Filter "ProcessId=$ProcessId" 
        Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service -Filter "ProcessId=$ProcessId" | % {

$results+=New-Object PSObject -Property @{ProcessId=$process.ProcessId;

CommittedMemory=$process.WS;

PageFaults=$process.PageFaults;

CommandLine=$_.PathName;

ServiceName=$_.Name;

State=$_.State;

DisplayName=$_.DisplayName;

StartMode=$_.StartMode}

}

$results

Then you can Diagnose the service, and refer to the method in this discussion to troubleshoot:

http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-910-source-ESENT-eventno-11177-phase-1.htm

If you have anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Hi Anna.

The result is;

CommandLine     : C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
    ServiceName     : UALSVC
    StartMode       : Auto
    State           : Running
    DisplayName     : User Access Logging Service
    CommittedMemory : 10674176
    ProcessId       : 3588
    PageFaults      : 65367

I am investigating it now.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Hi.

I have been looking for information regarding this issue but I'm not finding much to work with however my net admin has noticed that GPO's don't seem to be replicating between the 2 DC's.

At this point I am thinking that it will be best to transfer all FSMO roles to the PDC server and demote this server, reboot and promote to DC again and share the roles out again to see if this resolves the issues I am seeing. What are your thoughts?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

I've exactly the same problem.

Did you solve it?

thanks

Friday, January 9, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Hi,

I've exactly the same problem.

Did you solve it?

thanks

Thursday, December 10, 2015 11:32 AM
  • Hi bobgally9.

Unfortunately I cant remember what we did in the end. It may have been an issue that resolved whilst doing updates as the server has very little in the way of installation to it.

Apologies and hope you get your issue resolved ASAP.

Friday, December 11, 2015 9:03 AM