none
msg.exe and Firewall services or ports through GPO

Question

• i have a domain on win 2k8 r2 and win 7 PC,
    i searched for a way to send mesages to specific PC using windows tools but it cost me to much time.
    finally i found msg.exe that sends msg in this format: "msg /server:192.168.253.117 console prova"

than i create a GPO to change a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\AllowRemoteRPC

and than an other problem apear, the 'Firewall', if the firewall is turned off works perfectly.  I dont want to turn it off for security reasons but i want to allow only this service. I already created a GPO to modify firewall: 

'Policy Setting Comment Windows Firewall: Allow inbound remote administration exception  Enabled '

and       Windows Firewall: Allow inbound Remote Desktop exceptions Enabled 
    but it still doesnt work
    Does anyone know what service or port should i enable on firewall the MSG.exe should work ??

Thanks !

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

As far as I know, MSG.EXE will work only on Domain Profile. Please make sure that the 2 test machines are on Domain Profile. And then create a new Inbound and outbound rule on Windows Firewall for TCP 445 to be accessed by any remote port.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:34 AM