none
Windows 7 clients very slow network drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

Last week we replaced a server with a new one with Windows Server 2019 Essentials on it. This physical server has the Hyper-V role installed and is host to 3 VM's, also WS2K19 Essentials. One of the VM's is a file server to which the clients connect with a network drive (like Y:\ and X:\).

After the deployment we notice something weird happening. We have a few Windows 7 clients connected (like 4-5 PC's); they can access the network drives but browsing and opening is really slow. If you click, it takes like around 20 seconds to open a folder or a file. The Windows 10 clients on the other hand experience no problems at all and can browse and open files like they're working on their local HDD.

We did some troubleshooting, but we can't find anything out of the ordinary. Could it be a Windows 7 OS malfunction that happens with WS2K19?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Is this a common phenomenon or an occasional phenomenon?

Perhaps there were other programs that took up a lot of network resources when Windows 7 accessed the share.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:16 AM
  • Unfortunately, the problem is always present, any time of the day. We also tested it a few times after work hours and even than is the problem still present. We also tried disabling SMB and changed the cache registry keys, but also no luck.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Do the Windows 7 machines have the latest available updates installed?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:45 AM
  • Yes, they have all updates installed.
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:41 AM
  • We´re witnessing the same problem at the moment too. Customer had 10 Computers all Windows 7 and a Windows Server 2008R2. The server got old and we installed a new Windows Server 2019 Standard virtualized with Windows Server 2019. The Host is also a Windows Server 2019 Standard with complete new Hardware with 10GBit/s Network Card and SSD Hard Drives.

We migrated the Domain and all files without an Error. Then they called us that their software is got way slower. Then we started meassurements.

Windows 7 > vServer1 = 20Mbyte/s
    Windows 10 > vServer1 = 80Mbyte/s
    Host > vServer1 = 120Mbyte/s
    vServer2 > vServer1 = 200Mbyte/s

We have some Clients which are not up to date and some with newest updates installed.
    There are also some 32bit Computers left, but they are not slower or faster then the 64bit systems.

When we install an FTP Server on vServer1 we can transfer files from Windows7 with 80Mbyte/s.

We installed the new server a week ago and it´s always the same speed.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:30 AM
  • Unfortunately, it's not possible to setup a FTP server for those PC's :)
    The users on those PC's use a few software programs that are linked directly to the network drive for saving and opening the corresponding software files (airplane software and such). Also, they need to be able to open the images that are saved on the network drive and tab between them.

Another problem that someone noticed, is that, let's say, Windows 7 user X can see all files and folders in folder FOX but Windows 7 user Y only sees 5 files, while it's the same folder on the same drive.

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

For the other problem, it may be caused by permissions.

Best Regards,

Leon

Thursday, June 27, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I have attempted to recreate your issue locally and I am unable to see the speed differences between Windows 7 and 10 client vs 2012R2 and 2019 servers.  It is very likely that it could be related to some piece of software running uniquely on your system.

We are not allowed to request logs here due to privacy concerns.  We suggest that you open a ticket with Microsoft Support (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/contactus81?forceorigin=esmc&audience=commercial) as they will be able to help troubleshoot your set up while properly protecting your logs.

Thanks,

Eric

Monday, July 1, 2019 4:56 PM
  • I have the same issue. Did you find any solution? 
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:46 AM
  • I have found this post a number of times as I fight with the same issue, and I found a fix today so I wanted to share.  

It looks like there was an added “Feature” for the 2019 October updated that has a negative impact on SMB traffic.  Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) 

See these articles

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8aa6a88c-ffc8-4ede-abfc-42e746ff5996/windows-server-2019-hyperv-guest-on-windows-server-2019-hyperv-host?forum=winserverhyperv&prof=required

https://docs.microsoft.com/sl-si/windows-server/networking/technologies/hpn/rsc-in-the-vswitch?view=vsts

I used the following commands to check and disable this on my Hyper V Host systems

# Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) in the vSwitch is a feature in Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10 October 2018

Get-VMSwitch | Select-Object *RSC*

Get-VMSwitch

Set-VMSwitch -Name "New Virtual Switch" -EnableSoftwareRsc $false

• Marked as answer by Gotenks1990 Monday, September 16, 2019 10:17 AM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 8:52 PM
  • That seems to do the trick, thanks!

Monday, September 16, 2019 10:18 AM