none
Windows 2012 Hyper-V Manager says Virtual Machine Status "Backing Up" Why?

Question

• What is going on?

I have 4 VMs running on Windows 2012 Datacenter.   They stopped responding so I took a look at Hyper-V Manager.

The status of the VMs say "Backing up".   I cannot shut the VMs down, either.   Well eventually they STOP, but no save or graceful shutdown.

I have not configured backups.   I've never seen this message before.   

The VMs DO have Windows Server Backup installed and DO back themselves up using the Scheduler but they back themselves up to a network volume.   Hyper-V Manager should not know anything about this.

How do I get them out of this state?

Dane!

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:06 PM

Answers

• this is because the drive you have your VM has volume shadow copy turned on during the snapshot it will change the state to "backing up" or your host may be backing up, windows server backup will snapshot before backup.

To get rid of it if it doesn't on it's own you may have to reboot host. Make sure it is actually stuck in backing up or not in this state because host or vm is backing up. 

Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:54 PM

All replies

• this is because the drive you have your VM has volume shadow copy turned on during the snapshot it will change the state to "backing up" or your host may be backing up, windows server backup will snapshot before backup.

To get rid of it if it doesn't on it's own you may have to reboot host. Make sure it is actually stuck in backing up or not in this state because host or vm is backing up. 

Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

Just as Darren said, that was you have scheduled the backup plan include the Hyper-v child vm, you can change your backup plan exclude the child vms or stop the “Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor” service in your service or stop your Backup integration service.

More information:

Configure Integration Services options for Hyper-V VMs

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/configure-integration-services-options-for-hyper-v-vms/

Hope this helps.

Alex Lv

• Proposed as answer by McNic2015 Friday, April 22, 2016 10:57 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:38 AM
  • I am facing the same issue with my HA VM hosts. At random some of my VM's are stuck in a locked state "Backing Up" and I need to reboot the host to get things back to normal.  Are there any plans by MS to fix this issue? I think rebooting a host by using a hard reset is not an acceptable solution. This needs to be addressed, please update.

Thanks,
    Brian

BD

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Hello. I've got the same issue with my Windows 2012 R2 cluster. DPM stopped backing up some VMs. They are stuck in the state Backing Up. These VMs are HA and for now I can't migrate them to any other host. The bad thing is that this happened on every node of the cluster so I have to move all VMs several times. Is there any fix?
    Monday, January 13, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

The fix for me was a)  Reboot the server,  (b) Turn off the server backups (the VMs are backing themselves up).  If I lose the server, not a big deal.

Hope this helps.  

Also, I am on Windows 2012 R1,  maybe R2 handles this differently.

Dane!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for that so simple, did the others miss your post or something... lol

Cheers

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:08 AM
  • rebooting the host is unnecessary. you can resolve the stuck "backing up" state/s by restarting the Hyper-V service (Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management). you may also need to kill it from task manager's process list before the service will actually stop, otherwise it can take an excruciatingly long time to stop by itself. this will, of course, hard shutdown any VMs that are actually running -- but after successfully restarting the service and relaunching Hyper-V manager, all your VMs should now have returned to a normal state.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:02 AM
  • Reboot was easier.  Especially when you're working over the phone and stopping an office from going 'mad'.

Dane!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:36 AM
  • Is there any other option other than restarting the host for this?

I have a machine hung on "Backing Up" status and unable to do anything with it. I have several other vms on the host and cannot restart it at the moment. Is there not a way to kill the backup?

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 9:48 AM
  • I have 10 VMs running on Windows 2012 Datacenter.   2 of them were showing in status backing up ... but these 2 machine were working fine i waited  like 5 days and monitored that it might go automatically but it didnt  from these 2 one machine was not that importent so i remotely logged in to that machine and did proper shutdown and after shutdown when i started it give me this error " VM15 " failed to change state. the opreation can not be performed while the object its in its current state.

now problem is that this current machine was not that importent but the other 2nd machine which is still running fine but in status backing up is my database server so i m scared now to restart or shut down please advise me salmanshazad@gmail.com

How do I get them out of this state?

Salman

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:56 AM
  • I'm on the same boat you are. VM was running just fine, but status was stuck on "backing up". I logged in to that machine and performed a regular shutdown. Problem is, now it still is stuck at "backing up", VM is off and can't start it; i get the message "failed to change state. the opreation can not be performed while the object its in its current state."

This has happened to me before, and was easily sorted buy rebooting the host. Pain in the ass, I had to log in remotely from home way after work hours in order to be able to reboot the host without upsetting the whole company.

I have 3 hosts. 2 are hyper-v, the other one is esxi. in 15 months, I was forced to reboot the hyper-v hosts a few  times. Never once with esxi.

I'm a MS guy, not a linux or vmware guy, but it puzzles me how ms keeps having glitches like these.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:53 PM
  • I completely agree with everyone else.  We have the same issue, and have for quite a while.  Opened many tickets and have not gotten any fixes. About ready to give up on Microsoft and Hyper-V.
    • Proposed as answer by Adedeji Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Adedeji Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:01 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Guys, one way I found to figure out this problem is by logging directly to the Hyper V Host server, and restart the DPMRA service, which in turns will unlock all the saved virtual machine status that are found on the host. With this procedure you won't have to restart the host server, while the impact is pratically zero to the other VMs on the same host.

I hope this helps someone.

Adedeji

• Edited by Adedeji Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Guys, one way I found to figure out this problem is by logging directly to the Hyper V Host server, and restart the DPMRA service, which in turns will unlock all the saved virtual machine status that are found on the host. With this procedure you won't have to restart the host server, while the impact is pratically zero to the other VMs on the same host.

I hope this helps someone.

Adedeji

I have same problem one of my hyper-v servers is stuck in back-up state. I have other hyper-v on there so can't really restart the host server. I don't see a DPMRA Service in services where is it?

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:25 PM
  • I've had this happen a couple of times now on a Windows Server 2012R2 Datacenter when running Veeam backups on it, it happens infrequently though. I was thinking of trying out Hotfix kb2964439 even though the scenario says it's when using System Center DPM. Further down the kb article it says it applies to all WS2012R2 so .... anyone tried that?

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2964439/en-us

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:37 AM
  • http://richardstk.com/2014/11/24/hyper-v-vm-stuck-in-backing-up-state/

Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:06 AM