none
Event 32 from disk Write cache enabled (not) RRS feed

• Question

• After installing Active Directory Domain Services, (3) instances of Warning Event 32 from disk appear in the System log on each restart. Event text: "The driver detected that \Device\Harddisk\DR1 has its write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur."

In this case
    There are two disks, each having only one volume, C: and D respectively. Each disk is a virtual disk on a Dell PERC 5/i RAID controller with SAS hard disks behind it. Write caching for both virtual disks is disabled at the RAID controller using the LSI MegaCli configuration utility.

SystemDrive=C: Event 32 is not recorded for C:

D: contains The Active Directory Database file (D:\NTDS), the log files (D:\NTDS), and SYVOL (D:\SYSVOL). All (3) instances of Event 32 are associated with D:, probably one instance each for the AD Database file folder, the log file folder and SYVOL.

In Device Manager, the Policies tab for both disks the "Enable write caching on the disk" is ticked. For C: the accompanying text is "This setting improves disk performance...". "This device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified". This seems inconsistent because write caching is disabled at the RAID controller for both virtual disks.

It seems like the RAID driver (from Microsoft) is incorrectly reporting write caching state on both disks, and is differentially triggering Event 32 for D: only, because of the Active Directory folders and files on it.

I doubt there is risk of data corruption since the write caching is disabled and the RAID controller has a backup battery. Is there a way to avoid recurrences of this event? Or, possibly to update the driver for RC1 to more accurately reflect state?
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:38 PM

Answers

• I eliminated Event 32 by updating the PERC 5/i RAID Controller firmware to package version 5.1.1 -0054, available from the LSI  web site (the latest firmware package version available from the Dell web site as of 2007-07-20 was  5.1.1 -0040.

However, in Device Manager, you can still tick the "Enable write caching on the disk" box even though the message right below the box states "This device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified", and if you do check this box, Warning Event 34 "The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk0\DRn" where n is the disk number appears in the System log.  I don't know if this is firmware or driver related.  This is minor, but I'm noting it in case someone from Microsoft, Dell, or LSI can get it corrected.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:26 PM

All replies

• We have experienced the same symptoms in Windows 2003 SP1, SP2. Our Raid utility reports that the Wite cache is not enabled.

Is a Hotfix available of bug report been filed. There was some kind of the same problem back on Windows 2000 SP4 as well with a hot fix.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:06 PM
  • I eliminated Event 32 by updating the PERC 5/i RAID Controller firmware to package version 5.1.1 -0054, available from the LSI  web site (the latest firmware package version available from the Dell web site as of 2007-07-20 was  5.1.1 -0040.

However, in Device Manager, you can still tick the "Enable write caching on the disk" box even though the message right below the box states "This device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified", and if you do check this box, Warning Event 34 "The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk0\DRn" where n is the disk number appears in the System log.  I don't know if this is firmware or driver related.  This is minor, but I'm noting it in case someone from Microsoft, Dell, or LSI can get it corrected.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:26 PM