none
Issues with DNS Scavenging not running

Question

• I recently migrated my domain controllers from 2008 to 2016.  One of the steps was to change the primary DNS scavenging server.  Below are some issues I ran into with the scavenging on the new server.  Just posting this as an fyi.  Others may disagree, and they may be right, but these were my observations.

DNS Scavenging Issues

• Has to be enabled on a server and then the zones can't be scavenged for the time period set on the server/zone 7 days/ 168 hours by default.
    • Server has to be online for the #  of hours/days between scavenging.  If it reboots then the counter resets and scavenging won't run until the server is online for that long and then hits the day that scavenging should run
    • Scavenging will not run until the previous requirements are met and the zone itself has hit its aging limit
      • get-dnsserverzoneaging -name contoso.com
    • Get-dnsserverscavenging
    • If scavenging stops working on a server and all the above requirements are met, it needs to be disabled, rebooted, and re-enabled, do this on the day you would like scavenging to run.  It will not run or cannot be ran that day, see above for when it should run next.

Monday, May 20, 2019 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

This forum has engineers who have made a detailed summary and explanation of this function.

I suggest you read this article, which will help you better understand and use that feature.

How DNS Aging and Scavenging Works

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. 
    Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Leon

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 6:32 AM