locked
Rename User... One problem to fix... RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am trying to rename a user from (e.g.) OldUser to NewUser.  I found the fix to the problem of still having c:\users\OldUser      at this page   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454362

    The one remaining issue is that the Environment Variable USERNAME is still set to OldUser.

    This is important to our application because we have various Access database applications where the username is stored in the table records so we can document which user made changes to specific records.

    I tried to force the username by changing the USERNAME environment variable located here... Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Advanced > Environment Variables

    but it still gave the OldUser result.

    Anybody have any thoughts on whether this can be resolved?

    TIA

    bhata

    Saturday, May 31, 2014 11:02 PM

Answers

  • Try running lusrmgr.msc

    Expand the users folder. Right click on the desired user, select rename, then modify the username. Log off/log on. Check value of %username%

    • Edited by mystifeid Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by bhata Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:52 AM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:32 AM

All replies

  • It will not update automatically.

    Use %userprofile% instead of username.


    Mark as Answer if it's worked. Thanks. Balamurugan_Subramaniyan


    Sunday, June 1, 2014 12:21 AM
  • It will not update automatically.

    Use %userprofile% instead of username.


    Mark as Answer if it's worked. Thanks. Balamurugan_Subramaniyan


    That does not work. %userprofile% returns "c:\Users\NewUser"  not "NewUser".  And stripping out the last directory name is not correct either since that directory name can be anything.

    Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Try running lusrmgr.msc

    Expand the users folder. Right click on the desired user, select rename, then modify the username. Log off/log on. Check value of %username%

    • Edited by mystifeid Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by bhata Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:52 AM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:32 AM
  • Try running lusrmgr.msc

    Expand the users folder. Right click on the desired user and modify the username. Log off/log on. Check value of %username%

    THAT'S IT!!!!! Exactly what I needed!  Thanks mystifeid!!!!

    With all the searching I did and all the experiments I tried, I never thought this was solvable.  Hopefully I won't find any other gotcha's!!!


    Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:52 AM