none
GP error with folder redirections (ids 107, 1504, 1509, 1085) RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi everyone,

This issue involves Windows XP SP3. I have been beating my head against the wall with this issue. Here is what happens:

A "standard" group policy for folder redirection is used across the board for our domain. This works well for staff accounts, but differently for student accounts. Adult accounts don't have an issue with logging in, they log in, all folders (desktop, my documents, application data) are redirected successfully.

Now when 90% student accounts log in, they receive the following event IDs: 107, 1504, 1509, 1085. Event ID #107 says:
     "Failed to perform redirection of folder Application Data. The folder is configured to be redirected from <\\servername\dprofile$\xprofile\Application Data> to <\\servernane\01gstudent$\xprofile\Application Data>. The following error occurred:

The directory name is invalid."

Now I know the first thought is, "Security/permissions on accounts?" They all seem to be set the same across the board for all student accounts. They are also part of the domain users group, which matches the staff accounts. They student accounts have full control of their entire home directory, just as staff accounts do. I have No idea why 10% of the student accounts we have work fine. They are definitely a hit-or-miss situation.

We did delete all the student accounts and recreated them, with the same results.

Also, I have No idea where
    \\servername\dprofile$\ is coming from. We've never had Any account named "dprofile$" in our active directory, has anyone seen this or does anyone know where it is coming from?

Any help would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

-Mike Tucker

• Edited by Mike Tucker Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:04 PM OS Verification
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:49 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

This issue can be caused by several reasons. In order to narrow down this issue, please test the following steps one by one and let me know the corresponding result, also provide me the requested information:

<1> Troubleshooting steps

======================

1.  Event ID: 1504  source: Userenv  means:

Windows cannot update your roaming profile. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Event ID: 1509 source: Userenv means:

Windows cannot copy file <file> to location <location path>. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Event ID: 1085  source: Userenv means:

The Group Policy client-side <extension>  failed to execute. Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension.

From the description of error messages, we should focus on network access and security rights at first. If the folder exists, please check ACLs.

Make sure the security permission is correctly configured. You can refer to the following article to check it:

Security Recommendations for Folder Redirection

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/0c1ca7f6-5e16-4157-9dd5-9a5b140a04ba1033.mspx?mfr=true

If you pre-create folders rather than letting the folder redirection extension automatically create the folder, typical errors include:

Redirecting to a folder that is incorrectly ACL

User is not the owner of the folder

Destination does not exist, or cannot be contacted.

2.  Determine desired redirected location and verify access.

On the problematic PC, can you access UNC path and copy data from

\\servernane\01gstudent$\xprofile\Application Data and the redirected directory?

3.    If possible, delete the contents of dprofile$ folder to test the result.

4.  If this issue still persists, please help me collect fdeploy.log and send me via

tfwst@microsoft.com.

Note:

a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body:

GP error with folder redirections (ids 107, 1504, 1509, 1085)

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverGP/thread/c380a7a7-1ef3-4a09-86a0-a1acf0d5fc5f

Morgan Che- MSFT

b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

c. Pease post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

About how to Enable logging:

====

Folder Redirection can provide a detailed log to aid troubleshooting. To create a detailed log filefor folder redirection, use the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Set: FDeployDebugLevel = Reg_DWORD:0x0F

Then reboot PC. The log file can be found at %windir%\debug\usermode\fdeploy.log

<2> Information needed:

==================

Dose this issue only happen on Windows XP SP3 clients?

If you use staff account to logon the problematic PC, what is the result?

If you use the problematic accounts to logon the normal PC, what is the result?

Does this issue happen on all of redirected folders, such as My documents, desktop, Application Date etc? or part of them?

Please explicitly grand the problematic account security permission on the redirected folder and test the result.

How do you define 'Folder Redirection' Policy?

Please test to select "Create a folder for each user under the root path" and enter a UNC  \\homefolderserver\homefoldershare.

As for "dprofile$", this is not a user account, but a folder directory name.

Hope this helps.  

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:21 AM

All replies

• Not sure if these help, but bounce your config against these:
    Best Practices
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/c4bf51c2-fcb0-47e3-8c80-d114a44f6cf71033.mspx?mfr=true

Security Considerations
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/0c1ca7f6-5e16-4157-9dd5-9a5b140a04ba1033.mspx?mfr=true

...remember that in this situation both share and NTFS permissions apply.  Everyone should have full control share permissions and the user should have ownership over the folders...

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    A+, Network+, MCSE (2000 \ 2003), MCTS, CISSP LinkedIn
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:50 AM
  •  

Hi,

This issue can be caused by several reasons. In order to narrow down this issue, please test the following steps one by one and let me know the corresponding result, also provide me the requested information:

<1> Troubleshooting steps

======================

1.  Event ID: 1504  source: Userenv  means:

Windows cannot update your roaming profile. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Event ID: 1509 source: Userenv means:

Windows cannot copy file <file> to location <location path>. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Event ID: 1085  source: Userenv means:

The Group Policy client-side <extension>  failed to execute. Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension.

From the description of error messages, we should focus on network access and security rights at first. If the folder exists, please check ACLs.

Make sure the security permission is correctly configured. You can refer to the following article to check it:

Security Recommendations for Folder Redirection

If you pre-create folders rather than letting the folder redirection extension automatically create the folder, typical errors include:

Redirecting to a folder that is incorrectly ACL

User is not the owner of the folder

Destination does not exist, or cannot be contacted.

2.  Determine desired redirected location and verify access.

On the problematic PC, can you access UNC path and copy data from

\\servernane\01gstudent$\xprofile\Application Data and the redirected directory?

3.    If possible, delete the contents of dprofile$ folder to test the result.

4.  If this issue still persists, please help me collect fdeploy.log and send me via

tfwst@microsoft.com.

Note:

a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body:

GP error with folder redirections (ids 107, 1504, 1509, 1085)

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverGP/thread/c380a7a7-1ef3-4a09-86a0-a1acf0d5fc5f

Morgan Che- MSFT

b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

c. Pease post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

About how to Enable logging:

====

Folder Redirection can provide a detailed log to aid troubleshooting. To create a detailed log filefor folder redirection, use the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Set: FDeployDebugLevel = Reg_DWORD:0x0F

Then reboot PC. The log file can be found at %windir%\debug\usermode\fdeploy.log

<2> Information needed:

==================

Dose this issue only happen on Windows XP SP3 clients?

If you use staff account to logon the problematic PC, what is the result?

If you use the problematic accounts to logon the normal PC, what is the result?

Does this issue happen on all of redirected folders, such as My documents, desktop, Application Date etc? or part of them?

Please explicitly grand the problematic account security permission on the redirected folder and test the result.

How do you define 'Folder Redirection' Policy?

Please test to select "Create a folder for each user under the root path" and enter a UNC  \\homefolderserver\homefoldershare.

As for "dprofile$", this is not a user account, but a folder directory name.

Hope this helps.  

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:21 AM
  • I believe I have the same problem as described above.

I get Event id 107 that folderredirection failed because the network location wasn't found (this happens to both desktop and my documents redirection).
    I also get event id 1085 from userenv.
    Both of these events happen on a win xp sp3 machine.

The user can easily access the UNC path's mentioned in the error log from Explorer, from both his sp3 and sp2 machine, and ACL in filesystem and sharing looks fine.
    On the SP2 machine redirection works fine.

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Hi there,

same thing here, we had the network running with redirect on "My Documents" but after rolling out XP SP3 it does not work.
    We have checked rights on shares and ntfs and they are as should be, the path in redirect gpo is equally correct.
    When the users log on they can use the mapping to their own "My Documents" that we have set up without any problems.

I deleted one user folder and let it be created on logon and it worked as usually, but after logoff/logon we had the same error i.e. failure on redirect.

after that we set up test ou for maschines and users, reinstalled one computer and got the error again.

the computers still using the 'old' XP SP2 does not have this problem.

I look so very much forward to a solution on this issue, as we have about 30 schools waiting for this update.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:38 PM
  •  I used following solution and i solved my problem, hope that you will find it helpfull aswell.

*FIX FOUND*

After spending countless hours on the phone with Microsoft. I believe I have come up with a couple different fixes/work-a-rounds.

1. Replace %system32%\fdeploy.dll with the one found in SP2. This will solve all folder redirection issues pertaining to this post.

or

2. Make sure the users' profiles' folder structure has a "Desktop", "My Documents", and any other folder that you use redirection with. The fdeploy.dll that comes with SP3 handles folder redirection differently and will error out if the profile does not have those folders.

if you want to see the whole thread then use following link : http://www.msfn.org/board/Folder-Redirection-Broken-in-SP3-t117070.html

Best Regards
    Martin

• Proposed as answer by Martin uldall Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:22 PM
  • I had the same syntom with just one of several XP SP3 - PCs.

Thanks for this Workarround Martin uldall - it worked!
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 8:29 AM