Hyper V replica requirments RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is my understanding correct that Hyper-V Replica doesn't require host to be part of the Domain?

I'm haven't done this setup before, can the good guys here help me understand the requirements for this setup? like are there any network related requirements like creating a VLAN, No. of Nics i need on the Host.

Help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Here is another useful article from Microsoft - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134172(v=ws.11).aspx.  It includes links to a variety of other replica related articles, such as how to troublesoot.

tim

Monday, July 10, 2017 12:23 PM
  • Your understanding is correct. Hyper-V Replica server can authenticate in various methods including Kerberos (domain required) or SSL Certificates.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 7:35 PM
  • Hi my3rdlife,

>Is my understanding correct that Hyper-V Replica doesn't require host to be part of the Domain?

Yes, just need two hyper-V host and can access with each other, the Hyper-V host can be standalone or in a cluster. And the destination host need to have sufficient storage to host the virtualized workloads to be replicated, and the network bandwidth is sufficient to cope with the initial transfers.

Here is a simple demo for the replication:

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/how-to-blog/how-to-use-hyper-v-replicas-in-windows-server-2012/

(This is a third-party article, it may change its content without notification, we do not guarantee its safety.)

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Hyper-V Replica does not need a lot.

The two physical server do not need to be in a domain, although you need to create a FQDN for them so you can create a self signed certificate.

I even have these kinds of setups running over VPN Internet connections.

You can run Hyper-V replica on a single NIC, 1Gbit is advisable.

There are a lot of tutorials on the internet, Google is your friend :)

With kind regards,

Tim Grave

• Edited by Tim_86 Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:36 AM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:35 AM