none
Windows backup cannot see USB flash drive.

General discussion

• Hi,

I wanted to use Microsoft's default backup feature however, it cannot see the USB flash drive.

I check in "My Computer" and the flash drive is present, accessible and writable. Why would Windows Backup not see it? Are there pre-requisites for the drive?

Machine: Sony Vaio upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional using Microsoft Anytime.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 5, 2010 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Katatonic,

Please note the following from Windows backup help content.

1. To save a backup on a flash drive, it must be able to hold more than 1 GB.
    2. You can't save a system image on a flash drive

Which backup wizard are you using? If you are using "Select a system image" option, you may not be able to see the flash drive due to reason 2.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]

Sneha [MSFT]
    Monday, August 9, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply, point number 1 was what I was looking for.

Help or the wizard didn't say that the flash drive must be able to hold more than 1 GB - but I couldn't confirm this.

All I want to backup is documents / files - can system state be backed up onto a USB drive; or is it all USB devices in general?

I don't have the drives with me and will have to purchase them - hence why I'm asking these questions and not testing myself.

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I am having the same problem, but my Flash drive has 6.2 GB of free space. Windows Backup does not see this drive, but it is in Windows Explorer and works just fine as a drive otherwise. The Flash drive is formatted as FAT32. Would that make a difference for backup?
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi Dale,

In case you only want to backup set of files/folders you should be able to do this with Windows7 Backup even if the target is USB flash drive that is formatted FAT32.

Did you launch the backup wizard by choosing "Change Settings" from Backup & Restore Center?

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT] 

Sriram [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Hi Katatonic,

Please note the following from Windows backup help content.

1. To save a backup on a flash drive, it must be able to hold more than 1 GB.
    2. You can't save a system image on a flash drive

Which backup wizard are you using? If you are using "Select a system image" option, you may not be able to see the flash drive due to reason 2.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]

Sneha [MSFT]

Well I've finally cracked this one !

By using a Lexar utility (PD) called BootIt, I flipped the bit that tells Windows the USB Flash Drive (UFD) is removeable.

Once this is done (does not work on all makes of UFD), Windows sees the drive as just another hard disc and you can backup a system image to it, boot from it and partition it, if required. The UFD does need to be formated with NTFS to backup a system image though.

I did take some screen shots and create a little word doc, but can't see a way to upload that ?

Dave.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Sorry for the delay. I'm now trying to get this backup to work again. Still once I've chosen Change Settings I do not see the USB flash drive F. There is plenty of space on it. I've set the backup just to back up some folders.

Please help.

Dale

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Do you still have this word doc and is there any way I can get it or have you posted it elsewhere? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Jen

Friday, September 2, 2016 10:28 PM
  • what a min. here  ms b/u will save a back up file to a usb drive and now your saying ms image file cannot be backed up to a  1tb usb drive, what kind of double talk is that. !!!!!   So win 7 is no more better then vista and all the other OS,s you people created ?????????????   Are you sure about that ??????????
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:17 PM
  • Dave   great job  now that's the kind of answer I would expect from Microsoft corp. Can you talk more about flipping the bit on usb sticks ?????  is my email if you like   star3932      Comcast           net         .   apparently someone doesn't want you to know this information for some reason.  I can understand the reason for the  ntfs format. What would be the catch on this when buying usb memory then. I am tired of windows wasting my dvd discs when trying to make image back ups. waiting hours only to get aborted. Microsoft hasn't fixed this problem since Vista and now win 7 why buy windows 10 then.
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:33 PM