none
Server 2016 Hyper-V Replica with VHDS RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows Server 2016 by using the new VHDS (sets) format of disk you are supposed to be able to use Hyper-V replica. However I can't get this to work. Has anyone got this working?

Shared diskHyper-V Replication not working

Monday, December 5, 2016 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi K2AAB,

I checked all the official documents that I could find about Hyper-V replica in Server 2016. It seems to be supported to use Hyper-V replica with VHD set.

But I'm afraid I could not find related information about making it work successfully.

Install all the latest updates and try again.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Thanks Leo, yes that is the conclusion I had come to too. I've also installed all of the latest updates and still not joy. I've also setup the vhd set via PowerShell and then enable replication by PowerShell just confirm this is not just a GUI issue, but still get the same result, no replication.

I think this may be a bug.

Thank you for reading

Andrew

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I suppose we could wait for later updates and documents to see if there would be any related information about it.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Another half-baked "solution" from Microsoft. Seems to be the "NORM" these days...
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 6:46 PM
  • So I have some news on this...

Basically this can not be setup in the GUI nor via PowerShell. You have to use WMI.

In addition this can only be done between Hyper-V clusters, no stand alone hosts.

I'll be testing this over the next few weeks so will report back.

Andrew

Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:08 PM

Basically this can not be setup in the GUI nor via PowerShell. You have to use WMI.

In addition this can only be done between Hyper-V clusters, no stand alone hosts.

Andrew

Sounds like scerazy got this right, half-baked solution by Microsoft. Have to assume that's why I'm also having no luck backing up a Shared Set. 

Where did you learned about the WMI limitation? 

Thanks. 

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:05 PM
  • Hi Found out about this limitation and caveats direct from Microsoft as I logged a call and eventually got a response. I'm going to be doing some testing on this next week so will report back. Andrew
    Saturday, February 11, 2017 2:13 PM
  • hi

has anyone been able to replicate VM with Shared VHDX (or VHDS) successfully using Hyper-V replica in 2016? could you please share some info?

TA

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:45 PM

Andrew

Hi, 

I have been trying to make this work for the past month. I have raised a support case with MS and they came back to confirm this can only be done using WMI, however they are unable to provide documentation on how to do it unless we pay for Premier Level Support - However they can't confirm that Premier level support will be able to solve the issue. 

Had anyone managed to enable replication for the Shared VHDs using WMI. Some examples of this code would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Rob

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:57 AM
  • Hi Rob

I never got this working, I gave up in the end due to additional support this would put on my customer to failover/manage, if I had ever got it working. The following is my last response from Microsoft back in Jan 2017:

Replication should be enabled on the collection. Enabling
    replication on a collection is only exposed through WMI interface. Refer to the
    documentation available here for more details.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt167787(v=vs.85).aspx

You cannot manage replication of a collection through PowerShell
    cmdlet or UI.

The VMs should be on hosts that are part of a Hyper-V cluster to
    access features that are specific to a collection. This includes Shared VHD.
    Shared VHDs on stand-alone hosts is not supported by Hyper-V Replica.

Shared VHDs should adhere to guidance of Hyper-V as
    mentioned here
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281956.aspx  and be part of a guest cluster.

If a collection has a shared VHD but there’s no guest cluster
    associated, this will result in a failure in reference point creation for the
    collection (irrespective of whether the shared VHD is included in the reference
    point creation or not).

It may help you, but I don't think it's a workable solution even if you can get it working, and don't forget you have to go from cluster to cluster, stand alone hosts can not be used due to the collection only being available in clusters.

Likewise re premiere support, we now have this but I was not willing to waist credit on, what I feel is a poor implementation.

My main reason for wanting this was so I could used Veeam Replication on a cluster using shared VHDX files as it's not supported. Veeam were hopeful that VHD Sets would solve this issue for them, but no. Veeam still fails with VHD Sets are used with regards to Replication. I ended up making all my cluster roles single VMs so I could replicate via Veeam.

If any of this helps, please update this post.

Andrew

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:28 PM
  • So.. because of this.. Can't find how to convert a VHDS into a regular old VHDX..? Yes, I could copy all of the data... but, it is over 10tbs.. so, anyone have any ideas? Can't find anything online..
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:06 PM
  • Just ditch vhds file, rename avhdx to vhdx. All that is needed Seb
    Monday, February 11, 2019 7:15 PM
  • Also does anybody know if anything got better in Server 2019, or they still did not get it right!?
    • Edited by scerazy Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:46 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 7:16 PM
  • Would replication from 2016/2019 Cluster to single 2016/2019 host (setup as single host "cluster" with local storage presented as shared with help of ie StarWind VSAN) work?

Seb

• Edited by scerazy Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:44 AM
  • They still did not get it right...

Dario Palermo

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:09 PM