new node in existing Failover cluster RRS feed

• Question

• we have a new server that we would like to setup on an existing Windows 2008R2 Failover cluster.   I've set the server up with the Failover features.  And, when I open Failover Cluster Manager, I now need to set it up so that the existing cluster is visible.   I am told that there is a way to have it automatically populate Failover Cluster manager with the new cluster information.  How do I do that?
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Add a Server to a Failover Cluster: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730998.aspx

http://OpsMgr.ru/

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Friday, April 4, 2014 1:32 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 5:40 AM
  • "we have a new server that we would like to setup on an existing Windows 2008R2 Failover cluster.   I've set the server up with the Failover features.  And, when I open Failover Cluster Manager, I now need to set it up so that the existing cluster is visible.   I am told that there is a way to have it automatically populate Failover Cluster manager with the new cluster information.  How do I do that?"

I'm not sure I am understanding your question.  If you launch the Failover Cluster management console from a node that is part of a cluster, it will automatically find the cluster it is part of.  Any other cluster you need to manually add. 

If you are in the cluster manager and you want to add a node, you simply make the select from the Actions menu to Add Node...

I don't understand what you mean by automatic.  The cluster does not automatically add any server to which you have added the failover cluster feature, if that is what you are thinking.  The cluster has to be told which node to add.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:41 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 10:33 PM
  • I've found the answer.  It's not an automated process as I was told....it's Manage Cluster
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Add a Server to a Failover Cluster: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730998.aspx

http://OpsMgr.ru/

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:40 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 5:40 AM
  • Thanks.  The document shows how to create a new cluster.  What I was actually referring to was a way to automatically discover an existing cluster.   I was told that there is away to do that.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 11:42 AM
  • "we have a new server that we would like to setup on an existing Windows 2008R2 Failover cluster.   I've set the server up with the Failover features.  And, when I open Failover Cluster Manager, I now need to set it up so that the existing cluster is visible.   I am told that there is a way to have it automatically populate Failover Cluster manager with the new cluster information.  How do I do that?"

I'm not sure I am understanding your question.  If you launch the Failover Cluster management console from a node that is part of a cluster, it will automatically find the cluster it is part of.  Any other cluster you need to manually add. 

If you are in the cluster manager and you want to add a node, you simply make the select from the Actions menu to Add Node...

I don't understand what you mean by automatic.  The cluster does not automatically add any server to which you have added the failover cluster feature, if that is what you are thinking.  The cluster has to be told which node to add.

Friday, March 28, 2014 10:33 PM
  • Since this is a new node I have setup the Failover Feature.  Now, I can open the Failover Manager but it is clear of a cluster , nodes, etc.   I am told that I can populate the Failover Manager with an existing cluster information.  I know I can create a cluster with an existing cluster name and add the nodes, etc.  but I was curious about how to do this automatically.....or was I told incorrectly.
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:58 PM
  • I've found the answer.  It's not an automated process as I was told....it's Manage Cluster
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Just to be clear, installing the Failover Cluster feature does not make the host part of any cluster.  It fulfills the prerequisite of placing the failover clustering software on the node, but until some action is taken, the server remains as a standalone server.  When you use the GUI to install the Failover Cluster feature, it will automatically add the failover cluster management tools, thus allowing you to monitor/manage any cluster node for which you have permissions.

If you want to have the server with the newly installed failover clustering feature become part of an existing cluster, you can use the tools to add the new node.  Before adding the new node, you should run the cluster validation wizard to ensure the new node has access to the shared storage and has the proper networks configured. 

Monday, March 31, 2014 1:31 PM