none
Windows server 2012 R2 boot only to Repair Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

my DC is down, it will boot only on repair mode.

I have tried many article for the net still not able to fix it.

it's a windows server 2012 R2 with Raid 1.

I have tried:

sfc /scannow

chkdsk

startrep.exe

bootrec /fixmbr

boottrec /fixmbr

bootrec /revuildbcdany

I really need help to have this server boot up to windows.

Thanks a lot

FD

• Edited by ti_Fritz Monday, February 5, 2018 6:28 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 6:23 PM

All replies

• What happens when you try? What errors are in the system event log?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 5, 2018 7:27 PM
  • it still saying "boot to repair mode" and to the automatic repair mode option

FD

Monday, February 5, 2018 8:01 PM
  • Do you have any other domain controllers? If not I'd try booting directory service repair mode and check the system event log.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 5, 2018 8:04 PM
  • I do have a backup domain

FD

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:11 PM
  • You may boot the computer from the installation disk and select Startup Repair to repair the boot files.

If it does not work, we may use Bootrec.exe with the switches /FixMbr, /FixBoot, /ScanOS and /Rebuild BCD to scan and repair the system cannot boot issue. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

If this is a dual-boot configuration, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article to modify the boot set.

Windows no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Monday, February 5, 2018 11:42 PM
  • Then I'd probably seize roles on the other DC

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/255504/using-ntdsutil-exe-to-transfer-or-seize-fsmo-roles-to-a-domain-control

do cleanup

https://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/cc816907%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

and rebuild this one.

If you have multiple DCs I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health before starting. Then I'd stand up the new one, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:02 AM
  • I fixed it.

I manually replace the registry with the backup ones, and it work.

Thanks.

FD

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:04 AM
  • Hi,

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:54 AM
  • which registry keys had you replaced?? can you send the details so that I could solve my issue too

RaSa

Friday, January 4, 2019 6:53 PM