Missing Metro apps after upgrade from Windows 2012 to 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I've just upgraded Windows Server 2012 to R2 (both standard) and noticed that some Metro apps are missing.
    Looking deeper, the following three items are left in \Windows.Old\Program Files\WindowsApps and not migrated.
     Microsoft.Camera_6.2.9200.20523_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
     microsoft.microsoftskydrive_16.4.4388.928_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
     microsoft.windowsphotos_16.4.4388.928_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

And I cannot locate them on Windows Store - seems like they are blocked.
    Quick search on the net does show two other identical cases, but no answers or even hints yet.

Now, I know I can use some other photo app, that is not a problem. The problem is that I don't let things slide unanswered.
    And I do need SkyDrive on this particular system.

Now, \Windows\Panther\SetupErr.log does not mention anything about those apps, so if they couldn't be migrated, why is it not logged??
    But SetupAct.log shows a bit more (out of 50MB log file):
     Package microsoft.windowsphotos_16.4.4388.928_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe is being end of lifed so it's being written to the EndOfLife key
    Search on Microsoft.com or general Google shows nothing about this.

But sure enough, packages are listed in registry under HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Deleted\EndOfLife (and few other places).
    So I've exported the registry branch just in case and removed the entries and then reset the Windows Store using WSReset.exe.

But...Since those 3 apps don't show up on Windows Store in general, how do I get them on the system?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:49 PM

All replies

• Just as with the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1, I believe some of the apps that were available in Windows 8 / 2012 won't work in Windows 8.1 / 2012 R2 and therefore don't get migrated. In the case of SkyDrive it sounds like there have been a lot of changes done to it https://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/10/15/skydrive-and-windows-8-1.aspx?Redirected=true such that it no longer runs as a simple app but is now integrated with the system. Not sure how you access it now from a server and if it does now simply show up in the Explorer view on 2012 R2, but hopefully this might at least point you in the right direction.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:54 PM
  • I've taken a look at Win 8.0 -> 8.1 as well, it seems that SkyDrive, Camera and Photos are still Metro apps, but now shipped as part of OS and not available on Windows Store and thus marked as EndOfLife.

But MS simply "forgot" to package them with Windows 2012 R2.

In that case, OS upgrade should not have removed existing apps.

Seems like an oversight - I'd like to get a comment from MS staff...

And what is the plan to address this?

I can understand any concerns around SkyDrive integration into server OS (although that is available via Office 2013 SkyDrive desktop app), but Photo app is as simple as it gets - there is no reason why it shouldn't exist on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:12 AM
  • (bump)
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:47 PM
  • Hi ,

Did you try to create a new administrator account and install these APP again ?

BGDS

Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:31 AM
  • They cannot be installed - they simply don't exist in R2 anymore. They're part of Windows 8.1, but not part of Windows 2012 R2.

In 8.0 and Windows 2012, they were apps installed (by default) available via Windows Store.

Friday, February 7, 2014 4:52 PM