none
Windows Server Backup 2008 - "auto-delete" function not working

Question

• We setup full scheduled backups and they seem to be working OK for a while, but now that the backup drive is full, older backups are not being deleted and backups are failing.

We were getting below errors for a while
    (EventID:51) Backup target is running low on free space. Future backups to this target may fail for want of enough space.

Then started getting below errors
    (EventID:50) Backup failed as required space was not available on the backup target.
    (EventID:7) Backup started at '1/2/2009 8:05:39 PM' failed with following error code 2155348010.

We have some servers running on Windows 2008 server Hyper-V guests on Windows 2008 server standard hosts and we are experiencing this problem on more than one servers.
    We do:
     - Full Server backup (Backup size:78.94GB)
     - Backup destination: 300GB iSCISI connected disk
     - Backup was scheduled using Windows Server Backup UI
     - "Always perform full backup" is selected
     - We don't run any other backup program on this server
     - This issue is happening on Windows 2008 server Hyper-V guests

Is there anyway to fix this issue?

Thanks,
    Noriko

Thursday, January 08, 2009 3:02 AM

Answers

• auto-delete feature deletes the older version of backups on the disk  by deleting the corresponding shadow copy. each backup version is maintained in a a volume shadow copy on the backup location. shadow copy of a volume is a readonly copy of the volume. there can be multiple shadow copies on a volume. these are maintained by tracking the changes on the volume and storing them in what is called diff area files on the volume.

auto-delete feature to ensure that at least some old backup copies are maintained on the disk -- does not automatically delete backups if space utilization by older copies is less than 1/8 of the disk size or in other words, 13% of the disk size. that means if the one full backup copy does not fit in the 7/8 of the disk size, backup may fail with disk full error. auto-delete will not automatically delete older versions to reclaim more older versions of backup.

backup will fail with 0x80780030 media is full error.

it is recommended that
    1. either backup disk with bigger size can be used or
    2. vssadmin utility can be used to delete more older versions of backup if they are not required.

vssadmin list shadows /for=x: will list the shadow copies on x: and creation time.
    vssadmin delete shadows /for=x: /oldest can be used to delete the oldest shadow copy on x: where x: is the backup location.
    diskmgmt.msc can be used to assign drive letter to the backup disk temporarily and again removed.
    vssadmin.exe tool need to be run from elevated command prompt.

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 5:35 AM

All replies

• sorry for the inconvenience caused.

can you please share the %windir%\logs\windowsserverbackup\*etl files zip them and send to
    sbaid-nospam@microsoft.com

only use the highlighted part of the name in email (latter part is added to avoid spam).
    ------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:26 AM
  • auto-delete feature deletes the older version of backups on the disk  by deleting the corresponding shadow copy. each backup version is maintained in a a volume shadow copy on the backup location. shadow copy of a volume is a readonly copy of the volume. there can be multiple shadow copies on a volume. these are maintained by tracking the changes on the volume and storing them in what is called diff area files on the volume.

auto-delete feature to ensure that at least some old backup copies are maintained on the disk -- does not automatically delete backups if space utilization by older copies is less than 1/8 of the disk size or in other words, 13% of the disk size. that means if the one full backup copy does not fit in the 7/8 of the disk size, backup may fail with disk full error. auto-delete will not automatically delete older versions to reclaim more older versions of backup.

it is recommended that
    2. vssadmin utility can be used to delete more older versions of backup if they are not required.

vssadmin list shadows /for=x: will list the shadow copies on x: and creation time.
    vssadmin delete shadows /for=x: /oldest can be used to delete the oldest shadow copy on x: where x: is the backup location.
    diskmgmt.msc can be used to assign drive letter to the backup disk temporarily and again removed.

Friday, January 09, 2009 5:35 AM
  • When I apply the command  vssadmin delete shadows /for=x:  /oldest  i have a message saying No items find to satisfy the query but when i run the list command, appear all the shadows.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:53 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem, also no items to find... please help
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Did you change the /for=x: to the drive letter that you want it to delete the old copies from?
    Here is what I am getting

C:\Users\Administrator>vssadmin delete shadows /for=d: /oldest
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Do you really want to delete 1 shadow copies (Y/N): [N]? y

Successfully deleted 1 shadow copies.

I think you can add a /quiet to the end and have it do it automatically.

Andy

Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Hello Andy thanks for your answer, buti it is not working. I have given this command:
    vssadmin delete shadows /for=d: /oldest

D - drive is my backup drive and it contains windows SBS 2008 backups (incrementals).

But i get: No items found to satisfy the query

Any further instructions?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Please use diskshadow tool to delete previous shadow copies. Details are explained in following blog
    https://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2009/06/22/backup-version-and-space-management-in-windows-server-backup.aspx
    Thanks, Madan Mohan[MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Javiers/Bart,

please refer this thread - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/62488e7a-4638-430c-950c-e75ac42b0fa3/

if you are attempting to delete system state backup done using wbadmin start systemstatebackup command - you will need to use wbadmin delete systemstatebackup command otherwise vssadmin delete shadows

HTH.

-sushil
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:01 AM
  • X is the path for my backup files, it is not D. I already checked that.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Hello,

Is your guest vm backing up to a pass through drive or a vhd?  I have had this exact error when using a vhd that was configured to expand larger than the physical drive it is stored on.  When confiured smaller started to delete oldest shadow copies.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:39 PM
  • I have 308 copies. I can use the delete oldest command and it looks like space frees up, but I don't want to run it 200 times.

Is there a way to delete back to a date?

I am amazed simple retention is not working in 2008.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 4:39 AM
  • Windows Server 2008 Backup includes the following improvements:

• Automatic disk usage management. After you configure a disk for a scheduled backup, Windows Server Backup automatically manages the disk usage—you do not need to be concerned about running out of disk space after repeated backups. Windows Server Backup will automatically reuse the space of older backups when creating new backups. The management tool displays the backups that are available and the disk usage information. This can help you plan for provisioning additional storage to meet your recovery objectives.

Regards, Bill

Saturday, May 24, 2014 5:10 PM

it is recommended that

This is hands down the dumbest thing I have ever read. When, if ever, can we expect Microsoft to fix this grossly negligent problem?
    Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:11 AM