none
Event ID 51 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I see on several 2012R2 servers between 5 - 8 warning events ID 51 "An error was detected on device \Harddisk1\DRxyz during a paging operation" (source: disk, protocoll name: system) in the beginning of a backup operation with Windows Server Backup. The backup destination is a NAS. Should we do something about these warnings?

Regards

Ueli

Monday, February 16, 2015 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Ueli,

As the KB244780 said, only with a warning 51 event cannot help confirm whether or not it is a real issue.

If a generic error occurs when your computer pages information to or from the disk, an Event ID 51 event message is logged. In a paging operation, the operating system either swaps a page of memory from memory to disk or retrieves a page of memory from disk to memory. It is part of the memory management of Microsoft Windows.

However, the computer may log this event message when it loads images from a storage device, reads and writes to locally mapped files or to any file (as long as it is buffered I/O). The computer does not log this event message when it performs nonbuffered I/O. You can troubleshoot an Event ID 51 event message exactly like you troubleshoot Event ID 9 or Event ID 11 event messages. 

So you may refer to https://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690 to check some recommended settings.

In addition, how many hard disks are there in your computer? If there are more than 1 hard disk, do you know which one is "\Harddisk1\DRxyz"?

It also could be a removed physical disk or a disconnected iSCSI disk - Backup trying to backup its data but cannot find it as the device not exists.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Ueli,

There is an article which specifically explained Error 51:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780

As the article said, sometimes warning will be logged when a failure occurs but it may not be an issue such as insert a DVD into a writable drive.

Please just monitor your Windows Server Backup schedule. If it could be finished correctly, you can safely ignore the warning.  If any else error occurs please just post back and we can continue discuss. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 9:13 AM
  • Hello Shaon,

the errors are allways logged at the beginning of the backup during the night. There is definately nobody inserting a DVD at this hour. The error message decodes to "STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE" (if I'm not wrong).

We use WSB to backup important servers (DCs, Hyper-V, etc.) and I don't feel quite comfortable with these warnings. Why is this type of warning generated?

Any ideas?

Ueli

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Hi Ueli,

As the KB244780 said, only with a warning 51 event cannot help confirm whether or not it is a real issue.

If a generic error occurs when your computer pages information to or from the disk, an Event ID 51 event message is logged. In a paging operation, the operating system either swaps a page of memory from memory to disk or retrieves a page of memory from disk to memory. It is part of the memory management of Microsoft Windows.

However, the computer may log this event message when it loads images from a storage device, reads and writes to locally mapped files or to any file (as long as it is buffered I/O). The computer does not log this event message when it performs nonbuffered I/O. You can troubleshoot an Event ID 51 event message exactly like you troubleshoot Event ID 9 or Event ID 11 event messages. 

So you may refer to https://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690 to check some recommended settings.

In addition, how many hard disks are there in your computer? If there are more than 1 hard disk, do you know which one is "\Harddisk1\DRxyz"?

It also could be a removed physical disk or a disconnected iSCSI disk - Backup trying to backup its data but cannot find it as the device not exists.

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Can you update your hard disk controller's drivers and firmware and see if it helps?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:17 PM