none
laptop models that work with hyper-v

Question

• Are you running RC0 of hyper-v on your laptop?

Can you post the make/model#.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:10 AM

Answers

• Many laptops work with Hyper-V. It's impractical to provide a list of laptop. Hyper-V requires:

1. x64 capability

2. Intel VT or AMD-V

3. support for the execute disable bit (Intel XD or AMD NX) 

It's up to you to find out what processor a laptop has and look it up. This question has already been discussed in this thread: http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/3c703c90-5f6b-4429-a1f6-1e950a7d789e/

Not all laptops give you an ability to max out the ram. Laptops with chipsets from before May 2007 typically have a maximum usable ram of 3.25 GB or less. There are laptops being advertised now that will support 8 GB of ram when 4 GB laptop dimms are available in late 2008.

To ensure the best performance on a laptop, you should consider a second hard drive for the laptop. People who are serious about virtualization often replace the DVD drive with a 7200 rpm hard drive. Another good option is to get a laptop with an eSATA connection and use a 7200 rpm eSATA drive. Bus powered 2.5" eSATA drives are available now. You might have to buy a 2.5" eSATA case and a 2.5" eSATA drive separately and assemble your own eSATA drive. Even a USB external drive will boost performance. Put your vhd files on the second drive.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:22 AM
  • I have seen Hyper-V running on many laptops (dell/hp/ibm/fujitsu/toshiba/...)  as Paul says make sure it't VT or AMD-V (Pacifica/SVM).

Also be aware that the hyper-v role disables hibernation and sleep.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Taylor is so right about hibernation and sleep. I shut the lid on my Hyper-V laptop during a flight instead of shutting down. When I opened the laptop two hours later, the battery was almost fully drained.

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:17 AM

All replies

• Many laptops work with Hyper-V. It's impractical to provide a list of laptop. Hyper-V requires:

1. x64 capability

2. Intel VT or AMD-V

3. support for the execute disable bit (Intel XD or AMD NX) 

It's up to you to find out what processor a laptop has and look it up. This question has already been discussed in this thread: http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/3c703c90-5f6b-4429-a1f6-1e950a7d789e/

Not all laptops give you an ability to max out the ram. Laptops with chipsets from before May 2007 typically have a maximum usable ram of 3.25 GB or less. There are laptops being advertised now that will support 8 GB of ram when 4 GB laptop dimms are available in late 2008.

To ensure the best performance on a laptop, you should consider a second hard drive for the laptop. People who are serious about virtualization often replace the DVD drive with a 7200 rpm hard drive. Another good option is to get a laptop with an eSATA connection and use a 7200 rpm eSATA drive. Bus powered 2.5" eSATA drives are available now. You might have to buy a 2.5" eSATA case and a 2.5" eSATA drive separately and assemble your own eSATA drive. Even a USB external drive will boost performance. Put your vhd files on the second drive.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:22 AM
  • I have seen Hyper-V running on many laptops (dell/hp/ibm/fujitsu/toshiba/...)  as Paul says make sure it't VT or AMD-V (Pacifica/SVM).

Also be aware that the hyper-v role disables hibernation and sleep.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Taylor is so right about hibernation and sleep. I shut the lid on my Hyper-V laptop during a flight instead of shutting down. When I opened the laptop two hours later, the battery was almost fully drained.

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:17 AM
  •  

Hi John,

Thanks for the extar pieces of information.  I have my own personal blog post with most of the information you mention:

http://reloadnuggets.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=115

There is a great little link there to help stay abreast of the intel processors.  I thought it would be good to understand what others are using for laptops so that is why II posted.

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:39 PM
  •  

I bought a model just for 2k8 x64 testing - a Compaq Presario 755US - Has Dual Core X2 64 Bit and I have 4GB of ram with a 120GB 7400RPM Drive.

This system works VERY well.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:39 PM
  • As John Paul and Taylor said, many different makes and models will make the grade. 

I'm personally running Hyper-V on a Lenovo R61 with 4 GB of RAM.  No issues at all (other than obviously not having hibernate or sleep support. Smile )

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for sharing informative post.

http://www.laptop.paks.pk/

http://Laptop-Pc-Buy.Blogspot.com
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:21 PM
  • My Toshiba A505-S6033 (with an Nvidia GeForce 310M and i7 processor ) and with Hyper V installed, everything seems to be working fine (I did had to install KB975530 because I had some BSOD problems at first, but after that, performance is as good as when the laptop had Windows 7)

Is there an explanation for this?  Why is my laptop not affected by KB961661 ) ?

Oh, and BTW, I do use Aero on Windows 2008 R2 , and works it perfectly (and it feels very fast).

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:15 PM
  •   HAve you installed the SP1 Beta or RC? These seem to have cleaned up a few of the odd problems with laptops and Hyper-V.

Bill
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:32 AM
  • No need to install SP1 for Toshiba A505-S6033. But all the other (Dell) laptops (i7, Ge Force 310M) require it... 
    Monday, April 04, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Hi Folks,

maybe it is nice to know that the apple macbook pro also works with hyper-v (at least the 2010 core i7 model with the sp1 because of the error with the nvidia driver)

Grüße/Regards Carsten Rachfahl MCT, MCTIP, MCSA, CCA and Papa, www.hyper-v-server.de First German Gold Virtualisation Kompetenz Partner
    Monday, April 04, 2011 10:04 PM
  • My laptop runs fine on Hyper-V: HP Pavillion DV6 with ATI Radion HD 4530 and 8GB RAM. Disk is a bit slow. The driver is a bit old then because ATI exclude Windows 2008 R2 x64 as a valid operating system for the card :-( I propose to get a NVIDIA graphical card which was installed in my last HP. No problems at all. Means you can even use Remote FX display driver (does not work on the ATI). For real Hyper V performance it is better to have 2 disks. Roger
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:54 PM