none
Windows 2019 Hyper-V role installation networking issue RRS feed

• Question

• On a server that previously had the Hyper-V role installed but since removed.  Trying to install Hyper-V role again and on reboot no Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapter is not created and original nic cannot be accessed or properties viewed.  No access to Hyper-V Manager.

How do I start figuring this issue out?

Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:34 PM

All replies

• Kind of vague, is the hardware supported? If Hyper-V manager does not start then it sounds like the role installation may have failed. Might check the event logs for clues.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 18, 2020 9:06 PM
  • Hi ,

>>No access to Hyper-V Manager.

What's the error message when you cannot access to hyper-v manager? As Dave said, please first check the event log to see if there anything related for us to troubleshooting.

Have you tried to restart the machine to do a check?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:11 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:41 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates on this question?

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, January 24, 2020 5:58 AM
  • LOL tiny font FTW...

Delete any adapters in Hyper-V first.  open an elevated powershell and type Get-NetAdapter, this will tell you the names of your network adapters

you can easily add all adapters to a SET switch

Microsoft doesn't have clear docs on this but it's super simple.   Refer to the RDMA documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v-virtual-switch/rdma-and-switch-embedded-teaming

Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:20 AM
  • Try removing all virtual switches 

Get-VMSwitch | Remove-VMSwitch

Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:04 PM
  • Thank you for all the responses

Sorry let me clarify what is going on.

This Windows 2019 standard server had the Hyper-V role installed and working.  The Hyper-V role was removed

It is a Dell Poweredge T340 with a dual Broadcomm nic and a IDrac enterprise

When I run Get-NetAdapter I see the three nics  only the 1 Broadcomm is active for now

Now when I try to add the role again it seems to install fine but after rebooting I can no longer access any nics.

The original Broadcomm nic is there but I cannot right click and get to properties.  A virtual nic which I thought should be created as part of installation is not there.  I am unable to access hyper-V manager

Looked at all the logs and didn't see anything that would point me to find the problem.  Is therea speicifc log to look at or an error to look for?

Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:01 PM
  • Removing / re-adding roles may have resulted in some form of corruption. You can try;

• sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • repair install by running setup.exe from the root of install media

but the better option is to clean install it, patch fully, add Hyper-V role and move on.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:06 PM