none
Installing First 2012R2 Domain Controller RRS feed

• Question

• My site has two Server 2008 R2 Domain controllers and I have built a replacement pair of Server 2012R2 ready to take over the DC roles.

I have seen some useful articles showing the upgarde process being completely via the GUI using Server manager add roles etc and then kicking of the dcpromo wizard as per (https://interworks.com/blog/ijahanshahi/2014/01/06/promoting-windows-2012r2-server-domain-controller).

The last time I went from 2003 to 2008 I had to use some forest prep and adprep commands in an administarive dos box, in order to prepare the AD schema.

Do I no longer need to perform the ADPREP stages etc?

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:43 PM

All replies

• adprep is now an integrated part of domain controller promotion.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2012, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Also at some point either before or after I'd recommend migrating sysvol replication from older FRS technology to DFSR
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYSVOL/ba-p/425405

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:47 PM
  • As Dave has pointed out, this is optional - since the promotion process automatically performs forest schema and domain updates if they are not in place yet.

Ultimately, it depends on the change control procedures in your organizations. Those more tightly regulated might require separate changes that involve the forest prep and domain prep - others might be more lax, allowing you to carry out all of these changes as part of the domain controller promotion.

hth
    Marcin

Thursday, January 23, 2020 2:21 PM
  • Thanks Dave - Much Appreciated
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:18 PM
  • Thanks Marcin - Much appreciated
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:18 PM
  • You're welcome.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

Welcome to share it if you have any updates or progress.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 24, 2020 2:09 AM