none
DNS Warning 4013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I just restored a bad Active Directory managed by two domain controllers. Now that's all working fine I've a strange warning in DNS events, the 4013 one. It says that DNS server is waiting for Active Direcotry Services to start, but it's started and the DNS server is working fine. I receive this warning in one server only and every time i start it.

Seldom this warning is generated by a misconfiguration of DNS entries on the DC, but i've correctly set the two DCs to be one the primary DNS server for the other one, so DC1 has DC3 as primary DNS and DC2 has DC1 as primary DNS. Both then have them own as secondary DNS server not with loopback address, but with the IP address.

I tried to set DNS server service to manually start. Once the server is rebooted i receive no errors since DNS server is not started, then when i start it manually the event viewer doesn't generate errors or warnings or infos at all. 

The stranger thing, in fact, is that when i stop/start/destroy the dns server i don't receive errors, but neither infos, like infos 2 or 4 i mean.

Could you suggest me some procedures to try?

Thank you!

Riccardo Verdi

Thursday, January 23, 2020 2:24 PM

Answers

• Might also check the system event logs for more details and in case of usn rollback

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

I can see in both DCs registry that there's no "DSA not writable" key, so i suppose i don't have any case of usn rollback. I restored the DC with a non-authoritative restore, but now is everything fine.

Thank you again Dave

Riccardo Verdi

Thursday, January 23, 2020 3:28 PM

All replies