none
Computer is on the domain but there is no computer object in the directory. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have come across this problem a lot.

Where you add a computer to the domain and everything works fine.

The user can login and all appears to be well. But, if I go to move the Computer I find that it's hasn't come across.

It must be somewhere because it continues to work, but nothing comes up when you search the directory.

It's not in the old, computers, or any other container that I can see.

But, if I de-join and re-join the machine it will come across, and this is something that I don't want to be doing for our machines.

Please can you help.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:53 AM

Answers

• Greetings!

I would recommend to redirect the newly created computers to a different OU in order to make sure that you know where the default place is for newly created computers using Redircmp.

Also enable auditing and trace down related events for the computer deletion in the OU. The link "Tracing down user and computer account deletion in Active Directory" may be useful.

What do you see if you query the computers using Powershell or dsquery?

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I found this similar problem.

He never got to the bottom of it.

Similar problem

Well, he did - he just had more work than he would have liked.:

"After manually rejoining the computer to our domain it showed correctly in the computer container of Active Directory. I had no errors but I didn't really expect to either I knew this would fix the problem I just didn't want to have to physcially go to all these locations and manually touch all the computers. I compiled a list yesterday comparing AD computers with our inventory and close to 50 computers are not showing in AD. That means alot of time wasted for me :(

Thanks for the help though everyone who contributed thoughts and suggestions. It was good to confirm what I need to do. Now I just got to man up and do it :)"

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Otherwise... (just tried this, based on what Florian suggested in the other post), you can try this:

gpresult /r /scope computer

If you look at the output, under "COMPUTER SETTINGS" you should see the container:

My computer would be located here (if I worked for contoso):

COMPUTER SETTINGS
    ------------------
        CN=CMP123,OU=Workstations,DC=contoso,DC=com

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:09 PM

All replies

• Use "Find" to retrieve your computer. Unless you moved computer to another OU, it should stay in default place or better in default organization unit.

It is not clear what you did and you have given too few information to give more advice.

Regards

Milos

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:00 PM
  • When you do your search, make sure in the Find option at the top of the search window you have seleted "Computer" objects.  If you don't select computers it won't show you they exist.  Another thing you want to do in Active Directory Usersw and Computers (ADUC) is to select the domain and then at the top of the Menu select View and then Advanced.  Once you find a computer in the Find function, you can dobule click on it and then select the "Object" tab which will then show you the root container for the object.

Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security, BS CSci
    2012, 2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    Twitter @pbbergs http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/paulbergson
    Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup.
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe I didn't explain this myself too well.

I am using the find facility and searching for Computer objects.

I have the advanced view of AD on.

The Computer object was removed from the Domain and the device was re-joined to the Domain.

The user can login on the device, but the device is not showing up in AD.

It doesn't exist in a search, but it has to be there, or else he wouldn't be able to login.

I have seen this behaviour on more than one domain in different organisations.

You have to de-join the machine again and re-join it for the obj to appear.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Greetings!

I would recommend to redirect the newly created computers to a different OU in order to make sure that you know where the default place is for newly created computers using Redircmp.

Also enable auditing and trace down related events for the computer deletion in the OU. The link "Tracing down user and computer account deletion in Active Directory" may be useful.

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Greetings!

Similar problem

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Greetings!

Similar problem

Well, he did - he just had more work than he would have liked.:

"After manually rejoining the computer to our domain it showed correctly in the computer container of Active Directory. I had no errors but I didn't really expect to either I knew this would fix the problem I just didn't want to have to physcially go to all these locations and manually touch all the computers. I compiled a list yesterday comparing AD computers with our inventory and close to 50 computers are not showing in AD. That means alot of time wasted for me :(

Thanks for the help though everyone who contributed thoughts and suggestions. It was good to confirm what I need to do. Now I just got to man up and do it :)"

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Otherwise... (just tried this, based on what Florian suggested in the other post), you can try this:

gpresult /r /scope computer

If you look at the output, under "COMPUTER SETTINGS" you should see the container:

My computer would be located here (if I worked for contoso):

COMPUTER SETTINGS
    ------------------
        CN=CMP123,OU=Workstations,DC=contoso,DC=com

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:09 PM