none
Windows 10 1903 RDP With OpenGL 3.0 Application RRS feed

• Question

• I need to use Windows 10 RDP from my primary computer running Windows 10 Pro version 1903 to control my headless media server also running Windows 10 Pro version 1903. This was working fine until I upgraded the media server from 1809 to 1903. At that point the ROON application (full Control, Core, and Output PC x64) would no longer start, complaining that it needed OpenGL 3.0. Sure enough, the Remote Display Adapter used on the 1903 RDP client says it only supports OpenGL 1.1.

So, why did this only start happening on version 1903, and what can I do about it other than stop using RDP and install TeamViewer or one of the other alternatives?

RemoteFX looks like it could be a solution, and MS seems to think it is a solution, but I cannot find any documentation of how to set up RemoteFX on Windows 10 to use for a RDP session with a different computer, rather than with a virtual machine on the same computer.

If anyone can provide help, I'd certainly appreciate it. 

(moved from the Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment forum based on advice there)

Friday, July 12, 2019 4:33 PM

All replies

• hi
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on both win10 computers and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2  Open command prompt(as admin ) and enter below command on problematical win10 1903 ,then check if there is system file corrupt?
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3 what's the model of your graphics card on problematical win10 1903 ? can you download and install the latest graphics card driver and check if the problem persist ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:06 AM
  • The failing Windows Version is 1903 18362.239 on both the host (controlling) and client (controlled) computers.

(If anyone from MS is paying attention, neither Winver nor About provide the version in a way that can be copied and pasted, and System Information doesn't provide the update info - .239).

I also did a clean install of 18362.30 (the RTM version) on the client (controlled) computer and got the same failure.

The working 1809 version was whatever it was after the July Patch Tuesday updates, and has been used without problems at various (then current) patch levels since January 2019.

sfc /scannow finds false positive corrupt files related to Powershell 1.0 after the 239 update. It is a MS problem they need to fix. Those were corrected before my testing.

I've never understood why these 3 DISM commands are recommended as a set. Running /scanhealth to find any errors, and then /restorehealth only if there are errors, seems to make better sense. Running /checkhealth after /scanhealth seems redundant if you're going to unconditionally run /restorehealth. If you are going to unconditionally run /restorehealth in any case, just skip the first two.

Anyway, sfc /scannow and dism /scanhealth both were run cleanly before testing this. I always run them soon after doing a MS upgrade to make sure things are OK then.

Graphics is Intel 4600 using latest drivers. Different Intel drivers don't make any difference, and besides the same drivers were present on 1809, which works. Not surprising, since the problem seems to be related to the Microsoft Remote Display driver, which only shows up in Device Manager during a RDP session on 1903. 

Monday, July 15, 2019 6:34 PM
  • Bump.
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:22 AM
  • HI
    4 did your roon application download from this website ?
      or can i reproduce your issue easily by using this free software ?
      or can i use other free software reproduce your issue ?
    https://roonlabs.com/
    5 did you install Intel® HD Graphics 4600 with version 15.40.42.5063 Latest 3/19/2019 on problematical computer ?
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600

6 what's your opengl.dll version on both the host (controlling) and client (controlled) ?
    I find opengl.dll file only in below location on win10(1903)
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-opengl_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.18362.1_none_eb7710603b00de1c
    C:\Windows\System32
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-opengl_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.18362.1_none_e122660e06a01c21

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:39 AM
  • 4. You can download the software from https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html. There's a free 14 day trial period. Note that the installer will not work if the Mandatory ASLR settings are turned on (rather than the Windows default settings) in Windows Security, App & browser control, Exploit protection settings.

5. Yes

5. Yes.  

5.5. Note that on version 1903, when an RDP session is in progress, a second Display adapter shows up in Device Manager (It goes away when the remote session disconnects). This doesn't happen on version 1809.

6. Same version in SYS32 and SYSWOW64 on host, except for file size and exact Date modified. Exactly the same on client also.

Personally, I believe this problem may be related to the known problem with a back screen when using RDP on 1903, recently documented in the MS official problem list for that version.

I have submitted Feedback for this problem - https://aka.ms/AA5nvfb

• Edited by pc-learner Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:05 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:02 PM
  • HI
    7 Features removed or planned for replacement starting with Windows 10, version 1903
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1903-removed-features

8 is there other software can reproduce your issue ?
    it may copy my credit card. like picture

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 3:02 PM
  • I don't understand your link to the 1903 removed features list. The Intel 4600 driver is not an XDDM based driver, it is WDDM 2.0 per Dxdiag. Were you referring to something else in that list?

You don't need to engage with Roon. Just download and install it on the computer with the Intel 4600 display adapter, then do an RDP connection to that  computer from another one (display adapter doesn't matter), and try to start Roon. If it immediately displays an error about OpenGL you've reproduced the problem. If it displays its splash screen and (first run only) asks to open some Firewall ports, you haven't run into the problem and there's no reason to continue into its configuration and enter your card info. There's no need to run Roon locally on the Intel 4600 computer, which won't reproduce the problem, unless you want to see what Roon looks like.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 5:29 PM
  • HI

I think we can also post this issue in below forum  .
    Remote Desktop Services suggestion box by user voice
    https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, July 28, 2019 12:04 PM
  • HI

I think we can also post this issue in below forum  .
    Remote Desktop Services suggestion box by user voice
    https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

I'm not sure what you intended by this, or if it was even meant as a reply for this particular thread.

I'm also very confused because this does not match your reply as shown in the notification email to me that the forum automatically sent when you posted to my thread.

That reply started out as shown below, but currently does not appear in the thread. Did you delete that and replace it with a different reply, as shown above?

<partial quote from email>

HI

I can try to use Rooninstaller64  to install on all hyper-v guest vm computers( win10(1803) ,win10(1809),win10(1903) ). i can reproduce very easily .

Monday, July 29, 2019 1:09 AM
  • Bump, in case Andy has any time to respond to my last message.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:32 AM
  • HI
    I have reported this issue to related product department. I hope they will find solution to solve it. Maybe it can be solved by update package in future. Thanks for making effort to troubleshoot this issue .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:35 AM