none
Enabling DFS to use Fully Qualified Names (FQDN)

Question

• Hi,

In Windows 2003, by adding the registry of DfsDnsConfig = 1 it will be able to enable the DFSLink server to be appear as FQDN while creating it.

But in Winodws 2008, even the registry key is added in, when creating a new DFSLink, the server name will not be able to display as FQDN and a manual type in is required.

My question is:-
    1. Is DfsDnsConfig key work for Windows 2008 server?
    2. If not, how can I enable DFS to use FQDN?

Thanks!!

regards,
    BLeng
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Bleng,

According to my research, the DfsDnsConfig registry Key takes effect only after the DFS Namespace Service is restarted and rebooting the DFS namespace servers is required. Moreover, we may need to re-create the DNS namespace just after we modify the DfsDnsConfig registry key to make it take into effect.

In a domain-based DFS scenario, please use the following steps to enable the DNS management console to use FQDN in DFS namespace on Windows Server 2008:

1. Remove all DFS namespace for the domain-based DFS in the DFS management console.

2. Make the registry DfsDnsConfig change its value to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dfs

Value Name: DfsDnsConfig

Data Type: REG_DWORD

Value Data: 0 or 1

3. Reboot the DFS member server.

4. Re-create the domain-based DFS namespace in DFS management console.

5. Afterwards, all DFS namespace should use a FQDN of the DFS member server in the Namespace Server list.

I have test the steps with success on my side, hope it is also helpful for you.

Thanks.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, December 22, 2008 2:48 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:08 AM
  • Hi Bleng,

According to the research, DfsDnsConfig is still part of the system for Windows Server 2008, the registry key controls the form of the root referral response and also works on Windows Server 2008

Moreover, about the display of server name as FQDN, it can be actually controlled by the administrator and you may create it as you wish.

Thanks.

David Shen - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Bleng,

According to the research, DfsDnsConfig is still part of the system for Windows Server 2008, the registry key controls the form of the root referral response and also works on Windows Server 2008

Moreover, about the display of server name as FQDN, it can be actually controlled by the administrator and you may create it as you wish.

Thanks.

David Shen - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your prompt respond.

In Windows 2003, when I configured the Dfsdnsconfig registry, when creating any new DFSLink, the target server will automaticaly appear as FQDN. Similar happen to DFSRoot server as well.

However, in Windows 2008, I can't get the DFSLink Target server to display as FQDN automatically after select the server. A manual enter is required after select the server if I need it to display as FQDN.

Similar goes to DFSRoot server. But for DFSRoot server, even I had entered the server as FQDN, but once click on OK to accept the new DFSNamespace server setup, the new DFSRoot server will still not able to display as FQDN at the Namespace Server list.

Previously in Windows 2003, I can get it resolved after configure the dfsdnsconfig registry, but now in Winodws 2008, no matter how I configure that registry, the settings will not display it as FQDN automaticaly.

Really appreciate if you can guide me on this.
    Thanks!!

regards,
    BLeng
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Hi Bleng,

According to my research, the DfsDnsConfig registry Key takes effect only after the DFS Namespace Service is restarted and rebooting the DFS namespace servers is required. Moreover, we may need to re-create the DNS namespace just after we modify the DfsDnsConfig registry key to make it take into effect.

In a domain-based DFS scenario, please use the following steps to enable the DNS management console to use FQDN in DFS namespace on Windows Server 2008:

1. Remove all DFS namespace for the domain-based DFS in the DFS management console.

5. Afterwards, all DFS namespace should use a FQDN of the DFS member server in the Namespace Server list.

Thanks.

David Shen - MSFT
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:08 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks from your prompt reply.

Currently in our environment, all the DFSRoot server are in Windows 2003 environment and it works fine and we did introduce the dfsdnsconfig to all the DFSRoot server.Every thing is working fine.

But we need to introduce Windows 2008 server and the DFSRoot server will be hosts in Windows 2008 server in future, hence while performing the testing I found out this issue.

I have no problem on Windows 2003 server, but only on Windows 2008 server if I use it to create the any new DFS Namespace. Even though I configured the registry, restart the DFS server or reboot the server, it is the same.

Thanks!!

regards,
    BLeng

Monday, December 22, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Hi Bleng,

Thanks.

David Shen - MSFT

I'm a bit nervous about removing my DFS namespace and recreating it? Is there a backup procedure before doing this? If I mess it up how do I do the restoration of my namespace.

My current configuraiton isn't very complicated but I'm a new to DFS and don't have a lot of confidence yet on it.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:35 PM
  • I know this is really old but i think i am running into a similiar issue. Can you expand on the steps provided. Specifically in regards to DC's that participate in the namespace? How do i remove the DFS namespace from those servers? Do i need to use DFSutil or is this only for DFS servers and not related to DC's. I tried following the steps in this article KB but it is not very clear if or what you run on the DC's.
    Monday, April 04, 2016 8:13 PM