Folder redirection problems after migration RRS feed

• Question

• We did a migration of server 2008 to server 2012 and also moved the folder redirection. In the policy the option move to new location was enabled.

I changed the network path to the new location and it seemed to work, a lot of users are moved to the new location. Only for some users it fails, or a part fails. For some users only the desktop and videos/movies were moved but not my documents and some people have the problem that a few files are still on the old server.

Also for some people it's not moving at all, in the folder redirection logs it says the folder (sometimes it gives the old network path and sometimes the new one) is offline and the network path cannot be found. People where only 1 folder is not moving also get this error.

I tried everything to force this (gpupdate /force) and tried to fix all sync issues in the sync. What can I do now? People's files are now on two locations..

Is it possible to copy all files from the old server to the new one or will the client not see this? Also how can i copy it without breaking things like rights and without destroying the files that are already copied?

Friday, December 7, 2012 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You must force an update by follow these additional steps:

1. Create or modify a GPO that applies to the computers on which users who are affected by folder redirection policies log on.
    2. Edit the GPO.
    3. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates.
    4. Under Administrative Templates, expand System.
    5. Under System, select Group Policy.
    6. Double-click the Folder Redirection policy processing setting
    7. Select the Enabled option, and then click to select the second check box. (Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed.)
    8. Exit the Group Policy Object Editor. Make sure that this new GPO applies to computer accounts for which users are using folder redirection.

After you apply this policy change, the computers can detect the updated folder redirection policy and will honor the changes that have been made to stop using folder redirection.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:41 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to run "gpupdata /force" on the client machine and check if there have some error message. If not, then run "gpresult /v" and check if the GPO has applied. If the GPO showed has applied, you may need veryfy the folder redirecton settings again to make sure no thing have missed. 

You can refer below KB to check and troubleshooting folder redirction

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2610379

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782799(v=ws.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786749(v=ws.10).aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

This is because fast logon optimize furture. If you enalbed fastlogn feature (by default it was enabled), folder redirection must need logoff and logon once to take effect.

The Fast Logon Optimization feature is set by default for both domain and workgroup members. This results in the asynchronous application of policy when the computer starts up and when the user logs on. This application of policy is similar to a background refresh. It can reduce the length of time it takes for the logon dialog box to appear and the length of time it takes for the desktop to become available to the user.

You can change the default setting by using the Group Policy MMC snap-in. This feature is enabled by default, but you can disable it by using the following policy: Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon.

You can refer below KB about fast logon:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you verify if these persisted files which not moved to the new location currently is still on the old file server or have already redirected back to user's machine?  Since the folder redirection logs said these old files' location is offline or cannot be located, it is important to check where is these pesisted files excatly location.

Please also check below regisrty on the problemtic client machine to verify if the new folder redirection path have successfully applied:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

Please post the result here.

If it already point to the new path, then you can just find those old files and manully copy them to user's new redirected target folder.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:15 AM
  • In the registry for some folder it is still pointing to the old server and for other folders already to the new server.

Files are still on the old server and not redirected back to the user.

• Proposed as answer by Steve_Noel1 Friday, March 20, 2015 11:20 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:19 AM
  • If the registry on some folder is still pointing to the old path. The folder redirection group policy may not get applied successful. I suggest you to disable folder redirection for these problematic machine and then re-configure folder redirection policy for these machines. You can refer below KB to disable folder redirection group policy:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888203

Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:38 AM
  • I have seen some issues with some of clients on 2008. So i created small script that can reset the folders to default values which enables then the folder redirection to apply properly.

Make sure that the AD attribute on the User Account for "Home Folder" is set properly to the new server.

On Error Resume Next
    Dim WshShell 
    Dim RegKey
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    strHomeshare = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%HOMESHARE%") 
    RegKey=WshShell.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop")
    if RegKey = "H:\Desktop" then
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\Links"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\{BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968}", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\Desktop"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\Favorites"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Favorites", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\My Documents"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    end if
    WScript.quit

• Edited by Brano Lukic Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:17 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:15 PM
  • I have seen some issues with some of clients on 2008. So i created small script that reseted the folders to default values.

Make sure that the AD attribute on the User Account for "Home Folder" is set properly to the new server.

On Error Resume Next
    Dim WshShell 
    Dim RegKey
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    strHomeshare = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%HOMESHARE%") 
    RegKey=WshShell.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop")
    if RegKey = "H:\Desktop" then
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\Links"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\{BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968}", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\Desktop"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\Favorites"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Favorites", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    strRegValue=strHomeshare & "\My Documents"
    wshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal", strRegValue, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    end if
    WScript.quit

What will happen with the users files when I do this?

• Edited by Mats1777 Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:16 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:16 PM
  • In my case they all were redirected properly and avilable in new location, but please do test, don't assume anything.
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:19 PM
  • If the registry on some folder is still pointing to the old path. The folder redirection group policy may not get applied successful. I suggest you to disable folder redirection for these problematic machine and then re-configure folder redirection policy for these machines. You can refer below KB to disable folder redirection group policy:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888203

Oke did this, moved user to diffrent ou with an GPO as discribed but when placing the user back in the folder redir OU the files are not being redirected. Is there a way to force this?
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

You must force an update by follow these additional steps:

1. Create or modify a GPO that applies to the computers on which users who are affected by folder redirection policies log on.
    2. Edit the GPO.
    3. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates.
    4. Under Administrative Templates, expand System.
    5. Under System, select Group Policy.
    6. Double-click the Folder Redirection policy processing setting
    7. Select the Enabled option, and then click to select the second check box. (Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed.)
    8. Exit the Group Policy Object Editor. Make sure that this new GPO applies to computer accounts for which users are using folder redirection.

After you apply this policy change, the computers can detect the updated folder redirection policy and will honor the changes that have been made to stop using folder redirection.

Friday, December 21, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

I did that and it is working, files are being redirected back to the users computer. But the problem is that after this I wan't to enable folder redirection again for that user so I put them back in the OU with folder redirection GPO but then its not starting any redirection.

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to run "gpupdata /force" on the client machine and check if there have some error message. If not, then run "gpresult /v" and check if the GPO has applied. If the GPO showed has applied, you may need veryfy the folder redirecton settings again to make sure no thing have missed. 

You can refer below KB to check and troubleshooting folder redirction

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2610379

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782799(v=ws.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786749(v=ws.10).aspx

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

I did force (after logout/login for the new OU) and then it says you have the logout to apply the folder redirection policy. For most users the redirection is working so I think the settings should be correct.

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

This is because fast logon optimize furture. If you enalbed fastlogn feature (by default it was enabled), folder redirection must need logoff and logon once to take effect.

The Fast Logon Optimization feature is set by default for both domain and workgroup members. This results in the asynchronous application of policy when the computer starts up and when the user logs on. This application of policy is similar to a background refresh. It can reduce the length of time it takes for the logon dialog box to appear and the length of time it takes for the desktop to become available to the user.

You can change the default setting by using the Group Policy MMC snap-in. This feature is enabled by default, but you can disable it by using the following policy: Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon.

You can refer below KB about fast logon:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Perfect - thank you.  My GPResult would say the new Folder Redirection GPO would apply on the next workstation restart, but never would.  After the changes you suggest, the user needed to log off & on twice more I think.  Not to panic though, the workstations still have a copy of the Documents and Desktop folders, it is just getting them to use the local cache and finally point to the new server.  Your solution worked.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:48 PM
  • We replace servers all of the time. This is usually problem when folder redirection is in place. You have to fix the problem for each user (unfortunately) by following the guidance in Chris Cai's post. To prevent it from happening again, you should start using a DFSname space so that you are no longer relying on a server name in your folder redirection path. 
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 4:27 PM