Intracluster Hyper-v Replica RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2 node hyperv 2012R2 cluster which is replicating VM from another cluster

On this cluster we're running a virtual machine which is not clustered , because must be running on SSD local disks , that we'd like to "replicate" to the second node ( which has local SSD too ) .

Is there a way of doing this ?

thanks

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:53 AM

Answers

• Intra-cluster replica is not possible. If Hyper-V detects that it is running on a cluster node, it will not participate directly in replica. It will require that you use the Replica Broker. The Replica Broker cannot replicate with itself.

You will need to facilitate this with another mechanism, such as backup, a scheduled export, or a third-party replication utility.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stefano_C Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:27 PM

All replies

• Seems like a perfect case for the solutions like hpe vsa (the first place that comes to mind, but you just google for alternatives). All I would observe is that you have to acquire at least 10 gbe networking to squeeze out maximum performance from your SSDs.
    • Edited by LaMerk Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Intra-cluster replica is not possible. If Hyper-V detects that it is running on a cluster node, it will not participate directly in replica. It will require that you use the Replica Broker. The Replica Broker cannot replicate with itself.

You will need to facilitate this with another mechanism, such as backup, a scheduled export, or a third-party replication utility.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stefano_C Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Eric is totally correct. I would recommend you using a 3rd party tool to create a mirrored storage pool for this case between two hosts. This approach (unlike Hyper-V replica) will give you the ability to make your virtual machine not only replicated but highly-available which means it will automatically failover to another host in case of failure. HPE VSA https://www.hpe.com/emea_europe/en/storage/storevirtual.html or StarWind Free https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-free will do the job.

Best regards,

Taras Shved

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIN:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:25 AM
  • I know perfectly HPE storevirtual, which we are using , but the free edition is limited to 1TB Tthanks
    Friday, July 21, 2017 3:23 AM