Issues with adding TCPIP printer using group policy preferences RRS feed

• Question

• Are there known issues with using the TCPIP option for deploying printers in Group Policy Preferences. We are trying to deploy Canon networked colour photocopiers as printers at our sites to the computers at that site using preferences and selecting the TCPIP Printer option in the computer configuration section of the policy.

What happens is that the computers (Vista SP2) getting the printer applied will get to the Please Wait screen before the login screen and not proceed any further (sits there with the little circle spinning, have left it there for over half an hour several times to see if it proceeds, but never gets past the Please Wait screen). I have come across this KB Article (
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973772) which resolves the issue of the computer stopping responding when applying the preference, but all it does now is time out and skip applying the printer preference.

I can see that the computer accesses the server (Win 2008) where the printer is installed as a shared printer to provide a distribution point for the drivers and printer settings and reads driver files out of the spoolss share reasonably early in the Please Wait screen on the client computer

I have added the drivers into the Printer Management console on the Client, and have installed the correct drivers on the server.

I can manually install the printer without problems, using TCPIP and using the Shared printer on the Server

The following is what shows up when I turn trace logging on (from a Win7 Client):

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Starting class <Printers>.

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Handle Children.

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] {C3A739D2-4A44-401e-9F9D-88E5E77DFB3E}

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Starting class <PortPrinter> - LPT-S20ICT.

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Starting filter [AND FilterSite].

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Adding child elements to RSOP.

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Passed filter [FilterSite].

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Filters passed.

2009-08-17 15:48:53.399 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Adding child elements to RSOP.

2009-08-17 15:48:56.345 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Error installing printer drivers [ hr = 0x80070bcb "The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded." ]

2009-08-17 15:48:56.355 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Properties handled. [ hr = 0x80070bcb "The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded." ]

2009-08-17 15:48:56.365 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] EVENT : The computer 'LPT-S20ICT' preference item in the 'Site Settings - TEST POLICY {2D5A97AD-88A8-429A-AD2F-A36B3BA9E09F}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.'%100790273

2009-08-17 15:48:56.365 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Error suppressed. [ hr = 0x80070bcb "The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded." ]

2009-08-17 15:48:56.365 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Completed class <PortPrinter> - LPT-S20ICT.

2009-08-17 15:48:56.365 [pid=0x378,tid=0x440] Completed class <Printers>.

The XML of the preference is:

- <PortPrinter clsid="{C3A739D2-4A44-401e-9F9D-88E5E77DFB3E}" name="LPT-S20ICT" status="LPT-S20ICT" image="1" changed="2009-08-25 03:26:00" uid="{FE300609-9B4B-4D69-9DD5-F774E7F778F1}" removePolicy="1" bypassErrors="1">
      <Properties lprQueue="" snmpCommunity="public" protocol="PROTOCOL_RAWTCP_TYPE" portNumber="9100" doubleSpool="0" snmpEnabled="0" snmpDevIndex="1" ipAddress="LPT-S20ICT" action="R" location="" localName="ICT - Canon iR1024iF" comment="" default="0" skipLocal="0" useDNS="1" path="\\ict01\canoniR1024" deleteAll="0" />
    - <Filters>
      <FilterSite bool="AND" not="0" name="ICT" />
      </Filters>
      </PortPrinter>

Any assistance would be appreciated as it’s something we’ve been trying to do for a little while now without much luck.

Cheers
    Daniel

Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:43 PM

Answers

• I did some further research on the issue yesterday and found that the admx files included with W7/2k8R2 include a Point and Print Restrictions setting under Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Printers which you can use to set the printer security on the computer(previously only availible in user configuration, which was useless in this senario). once i upgraded the domain policy central store with the W7/2k8R2 policies and turned this setting on, it started working like it should! (for windows 7 anyway, i've given up with vista)

the issue is that since vista & UAC, when you try and install a printer who's driver isnt in the local driverstore, it prompts you if you want to install it etc, but being a computer gp preference being applied before login, you cant see these messages etc and hence the preference will fail. 

hope this helps everyone who has the same issues i had. when the printer preferences works, its great! 

• Marked as answer by daniel.r Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:09 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hello

We have exactly the same problem with Windows 7 and a Sharp Color Copier printer driver.
    Manually installing the printer from the print server works without a problem, but distribution with group policy preferences has the same results.

Regards,
    Reinhard
    • Proposed as answer by Mikuś Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mikuś Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Are you getting any errors in the application log that say something like "Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code ‘0×80070706 The print processor is unknown."?  If so you may want to try another print processor from the advanced tab of the printer properties of that printer on the server.
    Good Luck.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

Install manual printer driver on one computer.

After copy package from folder "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" and deploy this package via GPO in "Computer Configuration" as new folder in Preferences.

Best regards,
    Vitaliy
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:03 PM
  • OK so here's the problem. the GP TCPIP printer preference works great when the server which has the printer installed and the client getting the preference both have the same version of the printer driver, but if the client does not have the printer driver version that the server is using, the preference fails.

For example, our clients are deployed using MDT2010 and they get a bunch of drivers installed via this process, the Canon ir1024if driver being deployed via MDT is version 8.35. If i install a printer on the server using this version of the driver, then the preference will apply to the client sucessfully, but if i install the printer on the server with the canon ir1024if driver version 8.70, the preference will fail because the client doesnt have that driver version locally and will require to download it, but it doesnt seem to be able to download it from the server. Both client and server are members of the same domain.

So could someone please tell me why Microsoft would release such a feature when it is destined to fail, even the documentation says that the printer path is the source for installing drivers, why?

Printer path

Type a fully qualified UNC path or click Browse (…) to choose a fully qualified UNC path of a shared printer connection. The preference extension uses this shared connection as an installation source for the printer driver.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Here I was thinking "Smooth sailing now" as my Vista/Win7 clients are actually receiving proper GP from a 2003 server machine after I finally managed to piece together what was required.  I've read it many times and I'll say it "Does MS think that everyone is in the same room with their client machines?"  "Oh this will work great if you install xxx on the client".  what BS.

Anyways, I'm having the same issue that daniel.r started this tread with.  My printers will not install via GPO on Vista and Win7 clients.  I can login as a non-admin user on these same PCs and add the printer manually with no problem.  When the GPO attempts the same thing (either computer or user settings), I get the ''0x80070bcb - The specified printer drive does not exist on the system and needs to be downloaded." error shown above.  I've tried with the 'run in logged-in user context' and without on the user side.  Put UAC to minimum on the Win7.

Figured I'd inquire if there is an  ACTUAL SOLUTION yet, you know, that would make the GP work like it was designed.  Otherwise I'm going to try Vitaliy.R work around.  On that though, I'm not sure what 'package' is to be coped from the FileRepository folder.

Cheers.
    Larry

Monday, March 15, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I did some further research on the issue yesterday and found that the admx files included with W7/2k8R2 include a Point and Print Restrictions setting under Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Printers which you can use to set the printer security on the computer(previously only availible in user configuration, which was useless in this senario). once i upgraded the domain policy central store with the W7/2k8R2 policies and turned this setting on, it started working like it should! (for windows 7 anyway, i've given up with vista)

the issue is that since vista & UAC, when you try and install a printer who's driver isnt in the local driverstore, it prompts you if you want to install it etc, but being a computer gp preference being applied before login, you cant see these messages etc and hence the preference will fail. 

hope this helps everyone who has the same issues i had. when the printer preferences works, its great! 

• Marked as answer by daniel.r Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:09 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:02 AM
  • So could someone please tell me why Microsoft would release such a feature when it is destined to fail, even the documentation says that the printer path is the source for installing drivers, why?

Printer path

Type a fully qualified UNC path or click Browse (…) to choose a fully qualified UNC path of a shared printer connection. The preference extension uses this shared connection as an installation source for the printer driver.

I can confirm that GP Preferences Printer extension does not download driver from server printer share as documented by Microsoft.

It adds printer to client computer only if driver is already available locally in the driver store on a client computer. If it's not available, adding printer fails.

Tested both on Windows 7 and Vista clients.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Hi,

Am 31.07.2010 14:15, schrieb MarcinG:

I can confirm that GP Preferences Printer extension does not download
    driver from server printer share as documented by Microsoft.

... and I can confirm, that it does printer driver download.
    It simply uses the same technology like the rundll does, when connecting
    to a shared printer.

Beleave me, my Utax and Brother printers drivers in x86 and x64
    architecture are definitly not part of my Win7 driver store by default
    and all clients can print.

You only need a server, that shares all the printers, even if the
    spooling and printing is not on that system. It is only the source
    for the drivers.

Mark

Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:    www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    NNTP Bridge: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases

Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Hi Mark,

... and I can confirm, that it does printer driver download.
    It simply uses the same technology like the rundll does, when connecting
    to a shared printer.

Beleave me, my Utax and Brother printers drivers in x86 and x64
    architecture are definitly not part of my Win7 driver store by default
    and all clients can print.

You only need a server, that shares all the printers, even if the
    spooling and printing is not on that system. It is only the source
    for the drivers.

Please answer if it works for you also on Windows Vista clients or they are using Windows 7 only?

Here is my detailed results. I was configured GP Preferences policy to add Xerox TCP/IP color printer to Windows 7 x64 and Vista x86 clients. The Preference is configured by computer, not per user. Of course I have Windows Server 2008 R2 that shares the printer with x64 and x86 drivers for it and the printer is listed in Active Directory. The x64 driver is built in Windows 2008 R2 by default and the same one is also present in Windows 7 x64 driver store.The x86 driver, which was needed for Windows Vista x86 clients, because of lack of built-in driver, was downloaded from Xerox website and added to print server using standard procedure.

And with this, I think, very common configuration:

1) Windows Vista x86 clients doesn't download the x86 driver and doesn't add TCP/IP printer (If a user runs "Add Printer" wizard locally by hand and choose the printer from AD, the driver is downloaded from the server and the printer is added, however if a user is trying to go to printer properties, the explorer.exe process crashes or if he/she is trying to print on the printer, the application used for printing crashes also.)

2) on Windows 7 x64 clients the TCP/IP printer is added however the driver is installed from Windows 7 store, because it is already there, not from server and the local driver default configuration (duplex, color, paper sizes etc.) for that printer is used, the configuration is not getting from print server. And because the default driver configuration may be useless for the end-users (I know, blame Xerox), it was obvious for me that the printer driver configuration defaults will be always downloaded from print server.

So FOR me GP Preferences for adding TCP/IP printers don't work or work wrong.

If I deploy the same printer from the same printer server as printer share using GP Policy, not Preference, everything works OK with any issues described above.

I'm waiting for your thoughts and comments, Mark.

Thanks.

Sunday, August 1, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

Am 01.08.2010 16:46, schrieb MarcinG:

Please answer if it works for you also on Windows Vista clients

on what? Never had, never wanted, never tested. System is obsolete.

or they are using Windows 7 only?

XP x86 and Win7 x86/x64 deployment by user.

If Vistas behavior is not like expected you have 2 possibilities;
    1. make a support call, if it is a bug, it´s free.
       My personal guess: If it is a bug, it will not be fixed, because
       Vista is not on focus anymore ...
    2. Upgrade

Mark

Sunday, August 1, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Am 01.08.2010 16:46, schrieb MarcinG:

The Preference is configured by computer, not per user

So, the SYSTEM, not the User must be able to read the source.
    Check permissions on the printershare and printer itself.
    EVERYONE or AUTHENTICATED must have at least read (print) permission.

Mark

Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:09 PM
  • on what? Never had, never wanted, never tested. System is obsolete.

XP x86 and Win7 x86/x64 deployment by user.

Well, I know... and personally I hate Vista, however XP is obsolete too and it looks that GP Preferences work better in it.

If Vistas behavior is not like expected you have 2 possibilities;
    1. make a support call, if it is a bug, it´s free.
       My personal guess: If it is a bug, it will not be fixed, because
       Vista is not on focus anymore ...
    2. Upgrade

Well, MS released a few patches and patch roll-ups for GPP for Vista so I hope that finally they will make everything works there.

If I would be a guy who makes a decisions about operating systems on all employees' desktops, the Vista would be in a trash already and I wouldn't join this forum thread.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:56 PM
  • So, the SYSTEM, not the User must be able to read the source.
    Check permissions on the printershare and printer itself.
    EVERYONE or AUTHENTICATED must have at least read (print) permission.

I know, I know, The permissions are set properly.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:57 PM
  • I wanted to confirm that daniel.r's solution solved this for me. At Point and Print Restrictions setting I set the 'Security Prompts' to 'Do not show warning or elevation prompt' while leaving the top two settings blank.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:17 AM
  • realy Thanks ur post helped me a lot :)))
    I.gad egypt 
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:13 PM
  • I am living the same situation... any issue ?
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:07 AM