none
Can I Use the Existing Cluster Shared Volumes With Newly Setup Failover Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I am setting up a new Hyper-V failover cluster with Windows Server 2012 R2. The new node has already been setup with a Hyper-V Witness disk (2GB in size).

The LUNs are on our Dell Compellent and they hold the CSVs which are presently mapped to the older Windows Server 2012 4 node cluster which is still operational. I had these LUNs mapped to the new Hyper-V node which I am setting up.

I can see the disks in the Disk Management on the new node and they are not initialized because I didn't go that far yet. These disks are not visible when I try to add them to the new cluster which is currently composed of the 1 new node. I will be adding the older 4 nodes from the old cluster to the new one once I live migrate the virtual machine to the new one and upgrade them to Windows Server 2012 R2.

Do I need to do something in order to make the existing LUNs visible to the new cluster or will I need to create new LUNs which I will then map to the new cluster as new volumes, and to which I will migrate the existing VHD and VHDX drives?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

LUNs cannot be used simultaneously by two clusters.

You will need to detach them from the old cluster, then add them to the new one.

How?

1. Shutdown the virtual machines that use a cluster shared volume (Example: CSV1/LUN1)
    2. Remove the disk from the cluster storage from the cluster console
    3. Make the LUN offline on the disk management console
    4. Make the LUN online on the disk management console in a node that belongs to the new cluster
    5. Add the LUN to the Cluster storage of the new cluster
    6. Convert it to Cluster Shared Volume
    7. Import the VMs into Hyper-V
    8. Make the VMs highly available

Do it for all your LUNs

You should now that this option will require downtime.

But if you want to avoid downtime, you can benefit from the Cross-Live migration feature between Windows Server 2012 to 2012 R2 ie you can live migrate a VM from Hyper-V 2012 to Hyper-V 2012 R2. You will just need an extra LUN to assign it to the new 2012 R2 cluster

1. Create your new 2012 R2 cluster
    2. Assign it a free LUN, add it to the cluster storage, convert it to CSV
    3. Live Migrate VMs from the old cluster 2012 to the new 2012 R2 one (Live migrate VMs that use the same CSV on the old cluster to free up this LUN)
    4. Detach the free LUN from the old cluster reassign it to the new one and go ahead

In windows Server 2016 (vNEXT), we can create a failover cluster with a mixture of Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016. That will be great, no more downtime or headache

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by AquilaXXIII Wednesday, May 27, 2015 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:57 PM