none
moving VMs between two different and seperate Hyperv (both not belong to cluster) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts

I have a single Node (WS2008) HyperV that contains several production VMs 

my Goal is to create a new failover Cluster HyperV.

to realize this purpose , I will create a new server WS2016 with the last hyperv version

than I have to migrate all my existent VMs to this  new Hypervisor  in order to upgrade the old node to WS2016.

my BIG question ,how to perform VMs migration with minimum down time and no data lost for SQL servers ???

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my understanding, you want to migrate VMs on Hyper V host from Server 2008 to Server 2016. Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

1. Hyper V 2008 doesn't support live migration and replication;

2. Based on our experience, import & export VM from Host 2008 to 2016 directly may have compatibility issues;

3. As far as I'm concerned, to move VMs from Host 2008 to 2016, we may store the VM's VHD files on a removable hard disk, then dismount the hard disk on Host 2008 and re-mount to host 2016. Then create new Gen1 VMs on Server 2016 with the original VHD files.

In this way, we need to tolerate a period of downtime, while since Server 2008 doesn't support live migration, the downtime is unavoidable.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if you got an e-mail notification and received the replies above, if you have viewed the replies above, then could they be of help, if yes, you may mark useful replies as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my understanding, you want to migrate VMs on Hyper V host from Server 2008 to Server 2016. Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

1. Hyper V 2008 doesn't support live migration and replication;

2. Based on our experience, import & export VM from Host 2008 to 2016 directly may have compatibility issues;

3. As far as I'm concerned, to move VMs from Host 2008 to 2016, we may store the VM's VHD files on a removable hard disk, then dismount the hard disk on Host 2008 and re-mount to host 2016. Then create new Gen1 VMs on Server 2016 with the original VHD files.

In this way, we need to tolerate a period of downtime, while since Server 2008 doesn't support live migration, the downtime is unavoidable.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if you got an e-mail notification and received the replies above, if you have viewed the replies above, then could they be of help, if yes, you may mark useful replies as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:50 AM