Sudden Connection Failure to Remote Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question regarding the Anywhere Access/Remote Web Access function in Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2.  We have a small law firm client that has used RWA/AA for many years successfully.  The ISP involved is Comcast, and there have been some problems since Comcast installed a newer gateway on the network (a rebranded Cisco DP3941B).  We do have a static IP address from Comcast that normally allows immediate remote access via port 443.

Yesterday, no one from the firm (or me) could connect to the RWA system.  When entering the proper address (clientname.remotewebaccess.com) into a web browser, we receive a Windows error message ERR-CONNECTION_TIME_OUT and the attempted connection times out after several seconds.  The more detailed error message from Windows Network Diagnostics states that the "resource (xxxx.rermotewebaccess.com) is online but isn't respnding to connection attempts.  The remote computer isn't responding to connections on port 443, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings (NOTHING CHANGED) or because it might be temporarily unavailable (HAS BEEN UNAVAILABLE FOR OVER A DAY NOW).  Windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on  your computer."

This sounds like either a DNS problem or a problem with the static IP not being avaiable.  I am always able to ping the site by name (xxx.remotewebaccess.com).  Normally the ping command returns the proper fixed IP address.  However, when I tried pinging yesterday, sometimes it returned a completely different IP address (today it looks okay again).  Yesterday I was not able to ping either IP address (timed out).  Today, however, I am able to get a response from both IPs.  We are still not able to access RWA though, it continues to time out.

Any suggestions you have for repairing this problem would be great appreciated.  Thanks very much for your assistance.

John

John

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 5:07 PM

All replies

• HI
    1.“ The remote computer isn't responding to connections on port 443,”
    did you set allow TCP 443 in server essentials firewall and router firewall?
    did you set port forwarding for TCP 443 on your hardware router?

2.Windows Server 2012 Essentials: Router Setup
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14153.windows-server-2012-essentials-router-setup.aspx#SonicwallTZ170

3.is there any log we can find about RWA issue on both client computer and server 2012 essentials ?
    Windows Server Essentials 2012/2012 R2 Log Files

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2014/09/30/windows-server-essentials-20122012-r2-log-files/

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:43 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 12:02 AM
  • Andy,

Sorry for the delay in responding on my part. Our problem with the Web Access connection through the Comcast gateway/router has taken a new turn.  Now, I am the only external user that can connect remotely through RWA (which has worked for years in the past without any problems).  The symptoms on the other computers are identical.  When they try to connect to RWA via their web browser and the address of RWA (xxxx.remotewebaccess.com) all they get is a spinning circle and an eventual timeout (can't connect to RWA).  This symptom is similar to what I have seen happen in the past when port 443 on the router is not being forwarded to port 443 on the internal server (internal server IP address is always 192.168.16.2, the Comcast gateway internal IP address is 192.168.1.1).  It is very odd that I can connect every time to RWA but no one else can at all.  If port 443 is not being forwarded, then I shouldn't be able to connect either.  Very puzzling.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions about this changed problem.  Thanks very much for your assistance.  I will check back frequently.

John

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 2:34 PM