none
After upgrade to 2012, all VMs freeze at stopping state

Question

• I was running 4VMs on a single host - all 2008 R2 OS.  I upgraded my host to 2012, and now all of my VMs freeze while trying to shutdown, or restart.  I've figured out it has to be the network drivers - as if I change the VNIC to none, there are no problems restarting or shutting down.  I've tried the stock drivers, new drivers, etc - nothing seems to work now.  Why was this working just fine in 2008R2 and now it's not compatible in 2012??

Anyone have some advice for me besides spending more money on a network card?

Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:27 AM

Answers

• OK - get this!  I just tried setting up one of the old Intel NIC ports again and amazingly it works like it should!  I restarted the VM 3 times and the response when changing the NIC properties is fast as it should be.

So I pulled out the new NIC I bought thinking I don't need it anymore... and the problems returned!!  So I tested it with my USB wifi adapter - amazingly the problems go away when it is installed and setup as a virtual switch.  It's almost like it doesn't want to be alone... as soon as I unplug the USB adapter, the problems return.  I put the new NIC back in and it's working again... very very strange.  

I think the drivers I am using are the stock ones from a default install.  12.0.150.0

I'd say I'm at the point of needing to reinstall windows, but it's a totally fresh box.  I'm perplexed.  :)

• Marked as answer by etank52 Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:43 AM

All replies

• I haven't seen this before doing the same process, but maybe removing the virtual switch resource from the VM and adding it back in will fix the issue.
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Yes I tried that (removing vSwitch).  Even reinstalled server to start fresh.  I just can't get Hyper-V to respond with these Intel NICs.  They are 82574L - dual on mainboard.  Changing anything network/vSwitch related takes minutes to respond as well.  I've tried turning off TCP Checksum Offloading as I've read it can be the source of this problem on the network adapter in device manager "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2"... but then when I try to boot UP my VM that uses this vSwitch, it crashes to a BSOD.  The BSOD references IRQL not equal or less than error with the vmswitch.sys file referenced.  Since I've already completely reinstalled windows - I'm really confused as to what I can try next... I ordered another NIC card... we'll see if that solves any problems.  In the meantime, if anyone has any insight on this issue - I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Well... just in case anyone else runs into this problem - it is indeed a problem with the 82574L NICs.  I just plugged in a usb-lan adapter from my Wii and it works flawlessly.  Obviously this isn't a solution :)

I've tried every driver I can find that 2012 will let me install for my Intel NICs... is this a problem with the OS or the drivers?  Since the stock drivers do not work - I'm guessing it's more related to the OS?  I'm not a programmer though.  

And anything network related (creating vSwitch, changing NIC properties, assigning NIC to VM) all happen quick and what I consider normal behavior with the USB NIC.  All of those tasks take minutes to respond with using the Intel NICs.

If anyone has some input or things to try - please let me know!

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Please contact server manufactory to check whether they have new released BIOS firmware, update it if have a newer version.

Also please check event viewer and post possible related event logs for further troubleshooting.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

The startup time increases or hangs at the logon “Welcome” screen if you frequently backup Hyper-V virtual machines on a Windows Server 2008 R2 system
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982210
    Hyper-V Virtual Machines Exhibit Slow Startup and Shutdown
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532917
    Hotfix: Hyper-V backup can cause slow system boot / large registry files
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/06/14/hotfix-hyper-v-backup-can-cause-slow-system-boot-large-registry-files.aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Lawrence,Moderator Monday, November 19, 2012 2:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by etank52 Friday, December 7, 2012 8:12 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

I am running the latest BIOS.  Same BIOS as when I was on 2008 R2 and it was working properly before 2012.

There is zippo in the event viewer on what's happening - it looks like it is behaving normally according to the event logs.

The first two links you provided show an application error instead of the web page... I'm guessing that an internal microsoft server problem.  Oops.

Please note - the problem isn't startup times, it is the shutting down of the VM that freezes at the last phase.  The VM technically shuts down, but the hyper-v console doesn't complete the action and it looses the ability to communicate (force shut down, start back up, export, etc) with the VM.  After I restart the host, and start the VM back up - it doesn't give any warnings or notice that it wasn't shut down properly.  Boot times are just fine - just the last "shutting down..." screen never goes away, and the hyper-v console reports "stopping" indefinitely.  Changing the NIC that the vSwitch uses fixes the problem (setting it NOT to use the Intel NICs).  Switching the vSwitch back to an Intel NIC makes the problem happen again.

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:06 PM
  • I didn't have any problem with Lawrence's links.

The Intel 82574L is an old NIC - good for Windows 2000 and XP.  I would not be the least surprised that the drivers are not updated for 2012.  What you are describing sounds very much like a driver issue.  If Intel or someone else doesn't have an updated driver for Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012, I very much doubt you are going to get that old thing working with 2012.

tim

• Marked as answer by Lawrence,Moderator Monday, November 19, 2012 2:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by etank52 Friday, December 7, 2012 8:07 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Lawrence

Monday, November 19, 2012 2:40 AM
  • I didn't have any problem with Lawrence's links.

The Intel 82574L is an old NIC - good for Windows 2000 and XP.  I would not be the least surprised that the drivers are not updated for 2012.  What you are describing sounds very much like a driver issue.  If Intel or someone else doesn't have an updated driver for Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012, I very much doubt you are going to get that old thing working with 2012.

tim

The dual Intel NICs are on a 3 year old motherboard by Asus... As well as a plethora of other manufacturer's motherboard in that time frame.  Server 2012 has drivers for the NICs out of the box... they just don't work with hyper-v.

The issue still persists.  I have tried all the drivers I could get my hands on and the problem persists no matter what version of drivers I use.  I have completely wiped out the system three times trying each driver solo with a fresh base install to make sure remnants of the other drivers were causing problems.  As of right now I purchased a different NIC for the time being, but would love to get my onboard NICs functional again.

Any further insight is appreciated.

Friday, December 7, 2012 8:11 AM
  • My host at home (Asus barebones server) runs the same NICs with the stock drivers in Server 2012. I don't have any issue doing any network-related Hyper-V operations. Maybe a fresh install of the operating system if you haven't tried that. I did not do an upgrade, so I can't comment on anything that happened as a cause of not doing a fresh install.
    Friday, December 7, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Hi Ted, the motherboard I'm using is an Asus Z8NA-D6... I have tried reinstalling windows 5 times on it - first as an upgrade, and four other times since then as a complete install (not upgrade).  Erased the HD and started over completely.  Here's a link to my motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/Z8NAD6/

Perhaps there is something different between the NICs on our MBs?

Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:39 AM
  • I actually have the same board as well. I just pulled out the books that came with the barebones to make sure. I've reinstalled windows a few times (both 2008 R2 and 2012 beta and RTM) without any issue or need of additional drivers. I'm not sure what firmware I'm running, but I can check later this weekend since I'll need to reboot my server; however, I haven't upgraded it since I bought it, so I'm sure it's not the latest. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is somehow you have a bad board. Is RMA'ing a possibility?
    Sunday, December 9, 2012 12:00 AM
  • That's pretty amazing - having the same board as me? :)  Cool!  If you're running the stock firmware - then you might not have 1101 installed on yours yet.  That bios flash did the following:

Z8NA-D6 formal released BIOS version 1101
    1. Update boot ROM for Intel 82574 LAN chip.
    2. Support the function of endless PXE boot.
    3. Support IPMI Boot sequence function.
    4. Support new CPUs. 

I'm wondering if this boot ROM update did something wonky with just 2012's drivers?  I've re-installed 2008 R2 and the problem does not exist - it only exists in 2012.  I bought my board in March of '09 - so no, out of warranty now.  I'm just not convinced it's a bad board since it seems to work fine in R2, and they work fine for data transfers and such when hyper-v isn't touching them.  I really feel like this is a 2012 bug.

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Just read some of the updated functional spec for the NIC. Hard to imagine what they changed significantly affected compatibility with the OS. What version of the driver are you working with?
    Monday, December 10, 2012 4:58 PM
  • OK - get this!  I just tried setting up one of the old Intel NIC ports again and amazingly it works like it should!  I restarted the VM 3 times and the response when changing the NIC properties is fast as it should be.

So I pulled out the new NIC I bought thinking I don't need it anymore... and the problems returned!!  So I tested it with my USB wifi adapter - amazingly the problems go away when it is installed and setup as a virtual switch.  It's almost like it doesn't want to be alone... as soon as I unplug the USB adapter, the problems return.  I put the new NIC back in and it's working again... very very strange.  

I think the drivers I am using are the stock ones from a default install.  12.0.150.0

I'd say I'm at the point of needing to reinstall windows, but it's a totally fresh box.  I'm perplexed.  :)

• Marked as answer by etank52 Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Hmmm this just turned into one of "those" issues :) I am running the same driver (12.0.150.0) and have no other network cards installed. What's the second card you put in? Is it an Intel also?
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Yes the card is an Intel CT card... real cheap, but adaquate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CY0P7G/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00

The other USB one is a WII usb-to-lan converter.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:14 PM