none
Migrate Device RDS CALS from 2008 R2 licensing server to Server 2016 licensing server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is it possible do what I asked above?  I have seen this TS/RDS matrix but it does not make sense?  Can the DEVICE CALS be migrated from 2008 R2 to 2016 or does the business need to buy newer licenses.  Either answer is fine, just need to know what the correct answer is.

Ta

P

Saturday, November 23, 2019 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you can migrate them, however, they do not allow access to a 2016 RD Session Host servers--only 2008 R2 and older RDSH servers.  If the business plans on using 2016/2019 RDSH servers then they will need to purchase 2019 RDS CALs.  I strongly recommend the RDS CALs be purchased via Microsoft volume agreement so that they can easily be installed (automatically downgraded) on 2016 RD Licensing server.

-TP

Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

RD Licensing server OS version and its support RDS CALs version:

RDS CALs version and its support RD Session Host OS version:

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you can migrate them, however, they do not allow access to a 2016 RD Session Host servers--only 2008 R2 and older RDSH servers.  If the business plans on using 2016/2019 RDSH servers then they will need to purchase 2019 RDS CALs.  I strongly recommend the RDS CALs be purchased via Microsoft volume agreement so that they can easily be installed (automatically downgraded) on 2016 RD Licensing server.

-TP

Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

RD Licensing server OS version and its support RDS CALs version:

RDS CALs version and its support RD Session Host OS version:

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Thanks for that, just to clarify for those who may read in the future.  The current RDS licensing server and RDSH are on the same 2008 R2 server.  I can now see clearly from the matrix that the licensing server can be 2016 but as I want that to be the RDSH server too it will not be able to host the 2008 R2 Cals.

Thanks again.

Monday, November 25, 2019 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:56 AM