windows server 2016 CAL questions RRS feed

• Question

• i was informed by a local account manager that when we have installed even 1 windows server 2016 into our environment then we need to upgrade all our user CAL. Currently we have 2500+ users which are only under windows 2012 CAL, we need to spend a few hundred thousand dollars just to buy 2016 CAL when only 1 windows server 2016 is in our environment.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

to obtain the official confirmation & details is only by microsoft licensing support or by your reseller.

my first answer was just as ifo from my limited licensing knowledge.

to my Infos, you need to prove to Microsoft that the 20 Users without any direct & indirect access to the 2016 server.

thanks

diramoh

• Marked as answer by kmlim Friday, March 2, 2018 8:55 AM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you mean CAL for accessing server/server software, as far as I know, if you brought with SA, then, you can “upgrade” your CALs and used for new server. Otherwise, you may need to purchase CALs for newer server.

Software Assurance overview:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/software-assurance-default.aspx

More question about server licensing and CAL, please contact Microsoft Licensing Center
    https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/Help/Contact.aspx

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

if your 2012 CALs are purchased without Software Assurance than your account manager is right. however, if your CALs have active SA than you can free upgrade to 2016 CALs version.

if for example only 20 users need to have access to the 2016 server and other users continuing working with server 2012 than you need to purchase only 20 X 2016 user CALs.

for confirmation & more details contact microsoft licensing support or your reseller.

thanks

diramoh

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:42 AM

• if for example only 20 users need to have access to the 2016 server and other users continuing working with server 2012 than you need to purchase only 20 X 2016 user CALs.

Can anyone confirm the above is true, only the users that access the windows server 2016 need to have windows 2016 server cal and the rest of users in the same network need not?
    • Edited by kmlim Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:36 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

to obtain the official confirmation & details is only by microsoft licensing support or by your reseller.

to my Infos, you need to prove to Microsoft that the 20 Users without any direct & indirect access to the 2016 server.

thanks

diramoh

• Marked as answer by kmlim Friday, March 2, 2018 8:55 AM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

thanks

diramoh

can i have the email or phone contact of microsoft licensing support?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:09 PM
  • Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:13 PM
  • I’ve called up Microsoft 1800 and they confirm that only those users accessing 2016 server need to have 2016 cal the rest who is not accessing can remain to use 2012 cal.
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

it means that my Answer was correct :)

thanks

diramoh

Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:42 AM