none
i dont know what to do... RRS feed

• Question

• so i was trying to hide some files in a folder and saw the "encrypt" button so i was like why not. Come to find out that i was encrypting THE WHOLE DOCUMENTS FOLDER and I shutdown the process while it was happening. Now i cant get my files back because it keeps saying "the specified file could not be decrypted". What do I do?
    Friday, January 26, 2018 7:28 PM

All replies

• so i was trying to hide some files in a folder and saw the "encrypt" button so i was like why not. Come to find out that i was encrypting THE WHOLE DOCUMENTS FOLDER and I shutdown the process while it was happening. Now i cant get my files back because it keeps saying "the specified file could not be decrypted". What do I do?
    Saturday, January 27, 2018 6:53 AM
  • Hi, 

Good morning! Did you tried using the cipher tool? In my case, i made a Repro of your issue and I fixed, closing all the Windows Explorer and running this from a command line: 

C:\Users\Administrator>Cipher /D Documents
     Decrypting files in C:\Users\Administrator\
    Documents           [OK]

1 file(s) [or directorie(s)] within 1 directorie(s) were decrypted.

And that's all. 

Hope it helps! 

Regards,

Saturday, January 27, 2018 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

How did you encrypt folder?
    If you encrypted the folder with Microsoft Encrypting File System, youcould access the encrypted folder only with the login of the account you encrypted the folder with. Other user accounts won’t be able to access it. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700811.aspx

If you use 3rd party software to encrypt folder, please contact the vendor for more suggestion.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:56 AM