none
Enable RDP CALs/More than 2 Concurrent Sessions Azure Server RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having a tough time finding a clear answer on this, so I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

I have a few RDP Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Servers in Azure that I want to enable more than 2 concurrently RDP Sessions on. This I would assume now is called a CAL license Such as mentioned here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-client-access-license ..... Now I would need per device as we are using these in a workgroup with no active directory and this is for security reasons with an outside company coming into my Point-To-Site VPN connection. 

Where do I go to get these licenses and what exactly do I need to setup? From my past experience with AD, I would setup a license server like it describes in the link and I had the company get me licenses to add to the server. 

Now I believe I have to setup the same kind of server, but where do I get these licenses from exactly? I am supposed to grab these myself and can't find any easy way to get these. Would like a straight answer on that if possible.

Also why is it so complicated to get these licenses? I find it overly complicated and hard to find information or straight answers to do this. Maybe Microsoft should think of making this easier in such areas like Azure and implement it in Azure itself? Just a thought lol

Any help would be much appreciated to stop me from pulling my hair out on this one

Thanks

Monday, March 18, 2019 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When a user or a device connects to an RD Session Host server, the RD Session Host server determines if an RDS CAL is needed. The RD Session Host server then requests an RDS CAL from the Remote Desktop license server. If an appropriate RDS CAL is available from a license server, the RDS CAL is issued to the client, and the client is able to connect to the RD Session Host server and from there to the desktop or apps they're trying to use.

>How would we go about getting these so I can add them to a RDP License Server?

Purchase RDS CALs. Then, install RD licensing server role, active the Licensing server and install the RDS CALs.

Then, configure the RD Licensing relate configuration (I had mentioned in first reply) on your session host server.

You can contact authorized Microsoft Partner for help about purchasing and pricing:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/how-to-buy/how-to-buy

for detail steps about RD Licensing server installation and configuration, you can reference below articles.

Activate the Remote Desktop Services license server:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-activate-license-server

Install RDS client access licenses on the Remote Desktop license server:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-install-cals

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by LukeUhren Friday, March 22, 2019 8:27 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As Active Directory is recommended configuration for RDS, most official documents about how to deploy RDS are based on Active Directory environment. Such as “Build and deploy your Remote Desktop Services deployment”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-build-and-deploy

If you only want to deploy RDS (VMs) with workgroup environment, please check below information:
    1. ONLY Per Device CALs can be used.

2. If you install RDS licensing server on a different server in the workgroup, ensure that the RDS server is able to access RDS licensing server.

3. Create user account locally and add it to Remote desktop users group, also, enable below group policy on session host and add the Remote desktop users group to the policy:

Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration –> Windows Settings –>Security Settings –>Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment

Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services -> enable it and add specific user groups, such as Remote Desktop Users

4. On your session host server, please manually specify the RD Licensing Mode and your RD Licensing server, via local group policy or registry entry.

Local Computer Policy ->Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> Windows Components-> Remote Desktop Services-> Remote Desktop Session Host->Licensing

Use the Specified Remote Desktop License Servers –> Enter the IP address of RD License Server.
    Set the Remote Desktop Licensing Mode -> 2 is for Device CAL.

5. Re-start system to make the change take effect.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thanks for that info. I still don't see a clear way on getting the RDP CAL Licenses..... How would we go about getting these so I can add them to a RDP License Server? I have no issues getting a server set up and configured, I just have issues actually getting the licenses themselves and where I can purchase them from?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

When a user or a device connects to an RD Session Host server, the RD Session Host server determines if an RDS CAL is needed. The RD Session Host server then requests an RDS CAL from the Remote Desktop license server. If an appropriate RDS CAL is available from a license server, the RDS CAL is issued to the client, and the client is able to connect to the RD Session Host server and from there to the desktop or apps they're trying to use.

>How would we go about getting these so I can add them to a RDP License Server?

Purchase RDS CALs. Then, install RD licensing server role, active the Licensing server and install the RDS CALs.

Then, configure the RD Licensing relate configuration (I had mentioned in first reply) on your session host server.

You can contact authorized Microsoft Partner for help about purchasing and pricing:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/how-to-buy/how-to-buy

for detail steps about RD Licensing server installation and configuration, you can reference below articles.

Activate the Remote Desktop Services license server:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-activate-license-server

Install RDS client access licenses on the Remote Desktop license server:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-install-cals

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by LukeUhren Friday, March 22, 2019 8:27 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Eve Wang

Friday, March 22, 2019 8:14 AM
  • I marked as answer as appears only way I can get RDP licenses is through my Procurement people at my company I work for. I have all that I need and thank you for the assistance and information.

Thanks

Friday, March 22, 2019 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, March 25, 2019 2:37 AM