none
USB printer support in Windows Server 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using an HP LaserJet 1302 printer with Server 2008 R2 with no problem. This is a USB printer which functioned fine as a network printer through the the 2008R2 Print Server. When I upgraded to 2o12, cannot get it to work. There are no native drivers for it; HP drivers installed. Print Services doesn't show any USB port. The printer shows in control panel as DOT4USB, but that port doesn't show in print server.

Anyone faced this problem?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:29 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem with my LJ1320. I found it as a non cathegorized hardware and wasn't able to install it as a printer.

What worked for me was going in on the hardware and updating the driver and installing 'USB Printing Support'. After that I could install HP Universal driver for 2008R2 PCL5 and got that to work.

A bit more work for installing a simple USB-printer than in earlier versions of Windows.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:52 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem with my LJ1320. I found it as a non cathegorized hardware and wasn't able to install it as a printer.

What worked for me was going in on the hardware and updating the driver and installing 'USB Printing Support'. After that I could install HP Universal driver for 2008R2 PCL5 and got that to work.

A bit more work for installing a simple USB-printer than in earlier versions of Windows.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:52 PM

Hi Jets_77 - I just wanted to sign on and personally thank you for your instructions above.  I struggled with this for an entire day before I happened to Google just the right combination of keywords (with a lot of practice, of course ;-) to discover your post.  After following these steps, I was up and running with print sharing under Windows Server 2012 Essentials in all of 30 secs.  I only wish I had found your post sooner! :-)

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Yep this helped me also, however it took me a while to find the USB Printing Support you mentioned.

So i added the steps here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserveressentials/thread/1f70d895-a03f-419c-96b9-26ce371bbad1

Robert Pearman SBS MVP | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:26 PM