none
Remote Management of Hyper-V on Server Core 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning,

I have a small home environment consisting of some Windows 10 workstations (and a Windows 7 machine) and a Hyper-V host. The Hyper-V host runs Windows Server 2016 Standard (Server Core) and has a Windows Server 2016 Standard (Server Core) VM, configured with AD as a PDC, DNS and File Services server. I additionally have various *nix VM's running unrelated services. The Hyper-V host is also a domain member.

The problem I am having is that I cannot remotely manage the Hyper-V host. Server Manager displays "Online - Access Denied", whilst Hyper-V Manager gives an incorrect username/password error. In both instances, I am logged in with my domain account, which is a member of both "Domain Admins" and "Hyper-V Administrators". Additionally, I have added my domain account to the local administrators group on the Hyper-V host (as a test, though this should not be necessary).

My domain credentials work on my other machines on the network, and I can also log into the Hyper-V host physically with them.

I have tried removing the Hyper-V host from the domain and re-adding it, to no avail.

I have been reading the documentation online and it seems that for a Hyper-V host to be managed on a domain, one needs only login with a domain administrator account. Does anybody have any experience of a similar situation?

Best regards,

Jack
    Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Jack!

From which machine are you trying to manage your Hyper-V host (Windows Server 2016 Core) ?

Also I would recommend you to use Windows Admin Center, it's a great management tool!

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Sunday, January 6, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

Are you remote to the hyper-v host from your Win10 workstation?

Did the Win10 workstation join the domain?

What is your DNS in your workstation.Did it pointed to your DC? 

Try to run powershell command :winrm quickconfig.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 7, 2019 3:03 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:51 AM

• Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:06 PM