none
Import-WdsInstallImage : An install image could not be found in the image file. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The WDS server is a freshly installed Win 2019 server.

I am trying to import install images with PowerShell.

$ImagePath = 'D:\Sources\2019\install.wim'
    $ImageName = (Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath $ImagePath -Index 4).ImageName
    Import-WdsInstallImage -ImageGroup 'Win2019' -ImageName $ImageName -Path $ImagePath -Multicast

However I get the following error:

Import-WdsInstallImage : An install image could not be found in the image file.
    At line:3 char:1
    + Import-WdsInstallImage -ImageGroup 'Win2019' -ImageName $ImageName -P ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_WdsInstallImage:root/cimv2/MSFT_WdsInstallImage) [Import-WdsInstallImage], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 0xC111010E,Import-WdsInstallImage

The image file is NOT read-only.

And with the console it works fine.

I also installed the latest system rollup, but the behavior is the same.

Does anybody see what's wrong with my code?

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You could use the cmdlet "Get-WindowsImage" to check the image name.

Since the query is more related to the powershell feature part, I suggest you submit a new case on PowerShell forum as they will be more professional on your issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?forum=winserverpowershell&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:50 AM
  • Ok and thanks.

Opened the question here

By the way, I first started to display image names with Get-WindowsImage and copy/paste the name to the Import-WDSInstallImage and got the same error. That's why I was getting directly the name from the Get-WindowsImage cmdlet. But no luck, still the same error...

And while the Import-WDSInstallImage returns an error, the Import-WdsBootImage works fine.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your efforts you have put into this case.

I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:33 AM