none
VMs located on one of CSV volumes stopped migrating on one of cluster nodes RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 3 node cluster Windows 2016 with many VMs on 3 CSV volumes. At one moment (I'm not sure when) VMs located on first CSV volume stoped to migrate (live and quick) to fist node (only to first node). 1st volume is still visible from 1st node. Cluster validation didn't show any problem.
    In event log Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS/Admin on 1st node:
    EventID:16300 
    Cannot load a virtual machine configuration: The system cannot find file specified. (0x80070002) (Virtual machine ID ....)
    EventID:21002
    'VM name' Failed to create Planned Virtual Machine at migration destination:The system cannot find file specified. (0x80070002) (Virtual machine ID ....)

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

I would appreciate any help.  

Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:53 PM

All replies

• Were you doing any maintenance on your first CSV volume? Any option to migrate one of the VM's from problematic CSV to another one and test live migration? 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:19 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Try migrating VHD to another CSV and try again to see if the same problem exists.

And, something in here might be helpful:

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2018/09/27/live-migration-fails-due-to-non-existent-sharedstoragepath-or-configstorerootpath/

Best Regards,

Daniel 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:22 AM
  • No I didn't do any maintenance on first CSV volume. ( At least I don't remember that I did something at all on first CSV volume for few month).

Today I've migrated one of the VM's from problematic CSV to another one. As expected VM started to migrate to any node without problem. Both CSV actually located on the same storage but different pools. Unfortunately, I cannot migrate all VM.   I don’t have enough space.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

I’ve tried migrating VHD to another CSV. As expected problem’s gone. Unfortunately, I cannot migrate all VM. I don’t have enough space.

I’ve already read link you posted. Problem seems similar at first glance, but It’s different. No help there.

Thanks anyway

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

For now, we can try to use the following methods:

1. Try to change the name of this problematic CSV.

2. Try to remove this problematic CSV from our cluster and then add it to our cluster again.

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Hi,
    This is Daniel and wish you all the best!
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘ Propose answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the propose answer as you wish.
    BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:30 AM