none
Access Device Manager in Hyper-V 2012

Question

• When I try accessing Hyper-V Server 2012's Device Manager via MMC I get "Make Sure that this computer is on the network, has remote administration enabled, and is running the "Plug and Play" and "Remote registry" services.

The Error Was: "The machine selected for remote communication is not available at this time.

I disabled the Hyper-V Firewall and followed the steps outlined here for "Allow remote access to the Plug and Play interface":
    http://mikefrobbins.com/2010/12/02/enabling-remote-access-to-device-manager-on-server-core/

Any ideas?

The Hyper-V Manager works as-well-as the Policy Editor, just not Device Manager.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi!

Did you make sure that the "Plug and Play" and "Remote registry" services are actually started?

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Plug and Play was Started
    Remote Registry wasn't

however starting remote registry made no difference, same error.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:24 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue with Windows Server 2012 Datacenter in Server Core. Both services are started and the remote access to plug and play setting is defined with Group Policy.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:47 PM
  • You cannot override Group Policy once hte machine is domain joined.  You must create a group and apply the custom policy using Group Policy.

Also, are you managing remotely with a Server 2012 machine on the same domain?  (the interface model has changed and older MMC consoles won't work).

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:20 PM
  • I'm not trying to override anything. The setting to allow remote access to plug and play is defined centrally in Group Policy. It's already applied to this server and other Windows Server 2008 R2 servers. Accessing Device Manager remotely for Windows Server 2008 R2 works fine.

I'm managing from a Windows Server 2012 server on the same domain. I've also turned off the firewall and still I can't get access to the Device Manager.

• Edited by Nóri Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:53 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Was "Remote Managment" enabled?

It is usually enabled by default between domain joined systems.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Yep, it's enabled.

I've been looking at this with Process Monitor.

I'm seeing that it's writing the following to the Microsoft-Windows-WinRM-Operational log:

The authorization of the user failed with error 5

My user is already part of the local admin group. I also tried adding my user to the WinRMRemoteWMIUsers__ group and Remote Management Users group. No change.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

To connect to Device Manager remotely, you must first enable the “Allow remote access to the PnP interface” group policy. To do so, please perform the following steps:

1, Open Powershell and input “gpedit”.

2, Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Device Installation.

3. Enable “Allow remote access to the Plug and Play interface”

4. Restart the Windows Server.

Note that when Device Manager is used remotely, it is read-only.

The following article may be helpful for you:

Server Core : Configuring the Firewall for Remote Management of a Workgroup Server Core installation

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server_core/archive/2008/01/14/configuring-the-firewall-for-remote-management-of-a-workgroup-server-core-installation.aspx

Best regards,

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Just a thought, has anyone tried  the 2008 R2 CoreConfigurator from coreplex on Hyper-V 2012? http://coreconfig.codeplex.com/

I have this delusion that WinRM can be partially active, and coreconfigurator provides details on the status on the WinRM components, and can be entirely enabled with a simple click.

Next time I install a Hyper-V 2012 server, I'm gonna give this a shot, as it provides great visualization of these things.

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Thanks for that suggestion Jeff. I have this already defined as mentioned in my previous replies.
    Friday, September 7, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Thanks Mike. I've been using CoreConfig on our Windows Server 2008 R2 servers. I'll give it a try.

However, I already set up a new 2012 server with the GUI and I'm seeing this same issue with remote access to Device Manager there. I've disabled the firewall on both client and server.

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:26 AM
  • I created tvo new VMs. One a domain controller and one a member server. Turned off firewall on both. Enabled the remote PnP setting. Still the same error message.

I'm going to install the minimal UI so I can continue with the installation.

Friday, September 7, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Been looking at this with Network Monitor. One interesting packet that I saw that included the following text:

SMB2: R  - NT Status: System - Error, Code = (52) STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND  CREATE (0x5) , File=plugplay@#60

Friday, September 7, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Doesn't look like CoreConfig works on 2012.
    Friday, September 7, 2012 11:53 AM
  • I've encountered this issue and after trying various fixes over 2 days still cannot get it to work.

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Just curious, What is the requirement for Device Manager?

Have you tried PowerShell?:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverpowershell/thread/ffdea3ab-27d9-4238-ba7b-bd1c95a1822a

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wincat/archive/2012/09/06/device-management-powershell-cmdlets-sample-an-introduction.aspx

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I'm just trying to access Device Manager via GUI. The functionality is there but I cannot seem to get it to work.

I'm still learning powershell and want option of checking settings via GUI. 

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:21 PM
  • This is getting curiouser and curiouser.  I am running into the same issue with Device Manager.  So I figured I'd look at some of the other tools in Computer Management.  Also have a problem with Disk Management.  Here you get the error "Disk Management could not start Virtual Disk Service (VDS) on RemoteComputer.  This can happen if the remote computer does not support VDS, or if a connectio cannot be established because it was blocked by Windows Firewall".

So, I make the changes to the firewall.  I also start the VDS on the remote computer.  Try again to access Disk Management, and am told that RPC is not available.  Well, it's running.  But, when that error pops up, the VDS service stops running.

Now, I will admit I have a little mismatch on version.  The machine I am using for remote management is RC.  The machine I'm trying to remotely manage is RTM evaluation.  I'm in the process of getting everything up to date, but the fact that there are a couple of remote management things that aren't working quite right makes me curious.

Yes, I'm a firm believer in PowerShell, too.  But often the GUI is quicker for some quick viewing.

tim

Friday, September 7, 2012 10:09 PM
  • This is getting curiouser and curiouser.  I am running into the same issue with Device Manager.  So I figured I'd look at some of the other tools in Computer Management.  Also have a problem with Disk Management.  Here you get the error "Disk Management could not start Virtual Disk Service (VDS) on RemoteComputer.  This can happen if the remote computer does not support VDS, or if a connectio cannot be established because it was blocked by Windows Firewall".

So, I make the changes to the firewall.  I also start the VDS on the remote computer.  Try again to access Disk Management, and am told that RPC is not available.  Well, it's running.  But, when that error pops up, the VDS service stops running.

Now, I will admit I have a little mismatch on version.  The machine I am using for remote management is RC.  The machine I'm trying to remotely manage is RTM evaluation.  I'm in the process of getting everything up to date, but the fact that there are a couple of remote management things that aren't working quite right makes me curious.

Yes, I'm a firm believer in PowerShell, too.  But often the GUI is quicker for some quick viewing.

tim

I couldn't get disk management to work either but found work-around. Add your remote machine to new 'Server Manager' app and you can manage disk management from their.

Friday, September 7, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Actually, that's why I said it was getting curiouser and curiouser.  My machines are added as remote machines in Server Manager.  Guess I'm going to have to get versions aligned and see if that changes anything.

tim

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:23 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Enabled remote management doesn't seem to help as already described.   Shutting off the firewall across all profiles doesn't work either. PnP enabled and remote registry running.  Enabling "Allow remote access to the Plug and Play interface" via GP doesn't correct the problem.   Disk management was no problem in getting to work.  Powershell is great but managing hardware via GUI is priceless.  
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:37 AM
  • Me too, same problem with Server core 2012

- used GPO to set 'Remote Administration' and enabled 'Allow remote access to plug and play interface' 
    - confirmed remote registery is working by connecting with regedit.exe
    - confirmed both Plug and Play and Remote Registry are working.

Anything else to try?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Glad I stumbled across this thread, seems I'm not the only one having this exact same issue. I have my Server 2012 Standard Core setup for use with Hyper-V and am attempting to access it from Windows 8.  I can access every item in Computer Management with the exception of the Device Manager.

I've stumbled through most of the walk throughs I've seen posted on the internet explaining how to get this to work, but none of them were specifically focused on the Device Manager. I've tried most everything in this thread so far as well.

I wonder if there is any way we can get a engineer or someone who actually worked on the server product to give us a powershell commandlet like "Set-ComputerManagement -enable DeviceManager" that could just set whatever obscure setting needs set to make this work. Just some wishful thinking. I'll be keeping an eye on this and I'll make sure to post if I have any breakthroughs. Good luck guys!

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Getting exact same error when trying to access device manager remotely.

PNP and registry services are running!!

Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:03 AM
  • Can someone give me the steps you're using to produce this failure?  I've been trying to get this to repro on 2012-->2012 and haven't been able to.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Clean installations of Windows Server 2012.  Machines are joined to the same domain.

From one of the machines, add other servers to the Server Manager console.

Select All Servers.

Right-click on a remote server and select Computer Management.

Click on Device Manager.

Happens with all my machines.  Plug and Play and Remote registry are running on both local and remote machines.

tim

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Thanks Tim, I can repro it using this method.  I'll ask around and get back to the thread once I have some info.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:34 PM
  • same issue here
    Friday, September 28, 2012 1:36 AM
  • I'm looking into it.  Seems to be a problem with device manager and not really server manager.  I'll let everyone know what I find out.  Thanks for reporting this.

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Thanks for looking into this, Joseph.

While you are there, I'll throw another one at you.

This one has to do with Disk Management.  I have my systems configured for remote disk management.  But the display is not getting updated correectly on the remote manager.  For example, I have some disks that are offline on a remotely managed server.  When I bring up Disk Management on the management server.  It properly shows the disks as offline.  I select a disk and bring it online.  It comes online - I can verify this by looking at Disk Management from the actual host being managed.  But, on the remote manager, it shows Offline.  If I right-click and select Online, it says it is already Online.  If I do a Rescan of the disks, it continues to report it as offline.

The problem is that I am trying to bring the disk online, intialize, and format it.  But even though it is correctly reflected on the actual host, and I can step through those procedures locally, I can't do this remotely.

tim

Monday, October 1, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know about this Tim.  I'll ask around about this as well. 

Monday, October 1, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Ok, looks like I found out what was going on here.  Remote access to PnP was disabled completely in Windows 8 and cannot be re-enabled.  That's why you're seeing this behavior.

• Proposed as answer by MarkatCristoRey Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:29 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Would installing the Win 8 RSAT tools affect this in any way?

(I assume that everyone is trying to use the built-in Win 8 managemnet consoles and not the Win 8 RSAT for Server 2012...)

And that the model of this thread is always going from Client to manage Server.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Ok, looks like I found out what was going on here.  Remote access to PnP was disabled completely in Windows 8 and cannot be re-enabled.  That's why you're seeing this behavior.

Which behavior - Device Manager or Disk Management?

I'm not using Windows 8 - I'm using Windows Server 2012.  Same issue?

Is this under?  It seems a little backward of everything Microsoft has been saying about remote management.  I'm actually trying to come up with ways to do it in PowerShell, but it's painful to not be able to do things with the GUI during testing.

tim

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Sorry Tim, yes 2012 as well.

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Bummer!

Too much of the things that Device Manager handles so easily are handled in WMI, and I will be the first to admit that I find it a real pain to try to figure out what WMI classes and parameters are needed to accomplish something.  I've been a system administrator for years - I gave up programming a long time ago.  If I were still a programmer, I would most likely not have as much of an issue with WMI, but I don't think I am that different from many (most?) system administrators.

I was really, really, hoping that Microsoft had finally delivered the nirvana they have been talking about for so long.  RSAT that works!

Big sigh.  Disappointment.

So, no remote Device Manager.  How about the Disk Management?  That almost seems like a bug the way it is working.

tim

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Hi

there is a powershell module that can be used for device management :-) on win 2012 core http://blogs.technet.com/b/wincat/archive/2012/09/06/device-management-powershell-cmdlets-sample-an-introduction.aspx

and Disk Management can be used by the built-in powershell cmdlets http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848705.aspx

Although I agree that it should be fixed so the gui can be used!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Yes, it's nice to have PowerShell cmdlets for this, but even there, they are not designed for remote use.  None of the cmdlets have a -ComputerName parameter for execution on a remote computer - a pretty basic requirement for remote management.  Yes, one can pipe information in, but if this is supposed to be Microsoft's answer for remote management, they should be consistent with their other PowerShell commands that have the -ComputerName parameter.

And, though it is useful to have access to something like the Gallery for distributing something like the device management cmdlets, it is proof that this was an afterthought.  Only community support - no official Microsoft support - is my understanding of Gallery downloads.

Thanks for the pointers.  I do appreciate them.  But I really hope Microsoft does some real work in this area to fix the gaping hole they built.

tim

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Understood Tim, feedback noted and I'll make sure the teams see this as well.

BTW, still looking into the disk management portion of this.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:56 PM
  • I am having the same issue accessing Device Manager on a Server 2012 Datacenter instance from a Win 8 client.

I was able to get disk management working.  It seems the firewall rule group for Remote Volume Management needs to be enabled on the client as well as the server.  Disk Management opens up fine afterward but it doesn't seem to refresh properly after making a change, and i had to keep closing and reopening computer management after every single action.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Thanks, Joseph, for pursuing this.

I just ran into another 'glitch' in remote management.  Again, I work with Server all the time, so even my management workstations are Windows Server 2012.

My management workstation is running Failover Cluster Manager.  My workstation also happens to be a file server where I store all my media and scripts for use in my environment.

I tried to create a VM on one of the nodes in the cluster.  When it came to the part in creation wizard to enter the location of the media for the DVD, I have to enter the share name in the location window as \\computer\share and then click Browse.  That allows me to then select the correct .iso from the share.  However, it tries to configure the VM, it errors out with an error message along the lines of no permissions to access.  (I'm guessing this is hole in constrained delegation).

If I go to the node in the cluster and do the same thing, specifying the share and selecting the .iso, the configuration and subsequent build works just fine.  So, this is another feature where the remote management is not working.

Making a list and checking it twice ... <grin>

tim

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:33 PM
  • hmm..  Tim, you have me thinking on this one.

This sounds like a CredSSP type issue (the way you describe it), yes, constrained delegation.

I recently worked around some of these issues using a little trick from Taylor:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/taylorb/archive/2012/03/26/remote-administration-with-powershell-3-0-sessions-part-1.aspx

Register-PSSessionConfiguration -Name HyperVRemoteAdmin -SessionType DefaultRemoteShell -AccessMode Remote -RunAsCredential (Get-Credential "hyper-v\HyperVRemoteCommands")

Under the hood, this allows you to create the proper kerberos ticket for authorization at the remote server.  Without it, you authenticate, but you have no corresponding ticket to exit that server that you are remotely accessing.

And this session configuration works around that by essentially allowing you to create a session that is more like an interactive logon (a full credential) that includes the kerberos ticket that can be passed on.

I wonder if there is something similar that applies to this MMC stuff that can be taken advantage of.  I know thi is specific to PowerShell, but the concept is all there.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Tim,

I haven't been able to reproduce the disk management issue.  I've tried it in VM and physical hardware with and without storage pooling and I was always able to create, delete and initialize disks.  Can you give me some more steps on what you're doing there so I can see if I can repro it using those steps?

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Okay, I'm building another couple of management VMs.  I realized my existing one was on an earlier build of 2012.  I found another string talking about similar issues where the 9200 build file fixed it.  I'll keep you posted on what I find.

tim

Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Interesting blog.  I am going to have to play with this.  If this works, it will be so much easier than what was necessary to set up constrained delegation in 08.

tim

Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:19 PM
  • I had problem accessing device manager on my Hyper-V 2012 remotely, So I tried powershell but was not able to install it. I downloaded the DeviceManagement.zip file from TechNet and extracted the files. I didn't find PSCmdlet.psd1. Instead I found DeviceManagement.psd1 and I tried to import the module but failed.

PS C:\DeviceManagementPS\Release> Import-Module .\DeviceManagement.psd1 -verbose

VERBOSE: Loading module from path
    'C:\DeviceManagementPS\Release\DeviceManagement.psd1'.
    VERBOSE: Loading module from path
    'C:\DeviceManagementPS\Release\DeviceManagementCmdlet.dll'.
    Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly
    'file:///C:\DeviceManagementPS\Release\DeviceManagementCmdlet.dll' or one of
    its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT:
    0x80131515)
    At line:1 char:1
    + Import-Module .\DeviceManagement.psd1 -verbose
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], FileLoadExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileLoadException,Microsoft.PowerShell
       .Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Get-PSSessionConfiguration says that the PSVersion is 3.0. Then I downloaded the .Net 4.5 but installer of it says the OS already has it.

Any suggestion here?

OS Name:                   Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012
    OS Version:                6.2.9200 N/A Build 9200

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:02 PM
  • You can also manage disks via diskpart tool which is now a standard built-in tool.

All operations that you can perform on GUI interface, you can complete via diskpart.

A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

DiskPart
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877(WS.10).aspx

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:41 PM
  • So has anyone figured out how to get device manager to load from remote machine?

I can load every thing but the device manager - event logs, services, certs - man, that was a chore getting the computer cert down to the machine, for some reason my hyper-v won't auto enroll. See the answer on this page for ideas -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-SG/winservercore/thread/97d388e8-eb88-4744-b47a-938065849deb

But the only thing I can't get is the readonly device manager to open. I got all the services running, firewall shut down, gpo set up properly, etc...

Yeah I know I can use PNPUtil to install drivers, but I spent the weekend setting up an Intel S2600CP2 with two xeon E5-2630 processors, and I would really like to know if there are any "unknown device" entries on my machine.  

gimme some slamming techno!!!!

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:00 AM
  • You can look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781106
    Access to the Device-Manager in Win8/2012 is not possible any more.
    But the KB is not correct. Acces to 2008/2008R2 from Win8 is still possible.

• Edited by tosabt83 Monday, January 28, 2013 10:01 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 10:01 AM
  • So is there a command line that can give me a list of "unknown" or "errored" devices?

gimme some slamming techno!!!!

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:59 PM
  • For all Windows OS the general remote script technology for System properties is WMIC (WMI Command Line - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742610.aspx ). 
    In Windows 8/2012 you can use Device Management PowerShell cmdlets (http://blogs.technet.com/b/wincat/archive/2012/09/06/device-management-powershell-cmdlets-sample-an-introduction.aspx ) available at
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Device-Management-7fad2388

• Edited by tosabt83 Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Blair Allen Stark Saturday, February 2, 2013 9:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:21 AM
  • I am having the exact same issue and the quick answer is:

It is simply not do-able.... so lets stop trying to find a solution. Microsoft disabled remote device management from Windows 8 and 2012.

You have to use powershell for that. Details are below.

-Rajiv rajdude.com

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Seriously? Then can someone explain how we are supposed to disable the "virtual machine queues" setting in the host server's NIC on a Hyper-V server that HAS NO GUI? I have abominably slow performance on my virtual machines and scouring the internet only provided that as an option, even showed screen captures of where to do it, but in a GUI, not on the stripped down Hyper- Visor only version... Sigh, I am going right back to ESXi, screw this crap.

Piss Poor Performance in Novi, MI.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Why do you think you need to disable VMQ?

I can understand TCP Task offloads such as Large Send Offload, or Checksum offload.  But not VMQ or TCP Chimney.

Either way:  http://letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=command%20line%20disable%20tcp%20chimney%20offload

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Had the same problem with installing PowerShell Cmdlets. Just install feature NetFx4Extended-ASPNET45 (with CoreFig\ can also view added features and install new if needed), and import was ok.
    • Proposed as answer by Hollisorama Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Not just another IT Manager,  NVSPBIND is a tool for modifying network bindings from the command line (can find it on microsoft).
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:51 AM
  • Hi Joseph, afeter spending hours on this remote device manager issue, I find this great thread. A big thank you for your help and time. But just like Tim before, I really don't understand why this tool is not available anymore. We all see that MMC and snap-ins are the past, but until we get a new tool in the new (and great!) Server Manager tool, we really miss something precious here. Regards
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:52 PM
  • We're also missing the explanation... Why did they remove it? Security issue? MMC no more "a la mode"?
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Turkoise....This was done for security reasons from what I heard, I cant really give you more detail than that. 

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:22 PM

Any idea if that has been fixed in Windows Server 2012 R2, or are we still stuck with that problem? Or is MS not even considering it problem enough to fix it?
    Monday, July 29, 2013 3:11 AM
  • It was a design change for security.  I haven't seen anything in 2012R2 that's changed this behavior.

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Microsoft are making a real mess of the API and management tools strategy. We're being left with big chunks of half working UI tools half migrated between MMC and the new Metro or whatever it's now called Server Manager and this is also leaving the API in a real mess.

Here's the API that device manager users. No notes on here (at time of writing) stating that this won't work with Windows Server 2012 and no useful error messages. It's a bit of an omnishambles really. I'm going to log the issue with the API documentation now.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551058(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks,

Dave

CENTREL Solutions

Server Audit and Documentation

David Homer

Monday, October 7, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Ran into the same issue, at least give a better error message? *This has been disabled server 2012* ???

Friday, November 29, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Additional note:

[GDE-HV]: PS C:\Users\jbondc\Documents\foo\Release> Import-Module .\DeviceManagement.psd1
    Import-Module : The current Windows PowerShell host is: 'ServerRemoteHost' (version 1.0.0.0). The module 'C:\Users\jbondc\Documents\foo\Release\DeviceManagement.psd1' requires a minimum Windows PowerShell host version of '3.0' to run.

Remote powershell doesn't work either so I have to remote desktop to use 'DeviceManagement'.

I'm not sure if that's part of the new design. At point I don't know if I want Hyper-V in a data center with Remote Desktop enabled. It that considered better for security?

Friday, November 29, 2013 6:02 PM
  • GUI alternative to the Windows device manager:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

This nifty tool runs on Server 2012 "core" and displays unidentified devices just fine. The layout is a bit unfamiliar as all devices are displayed in a long list. No tree view here.

Warning: Unidentified devices are NOT marked with the familiar yellow exclamation mark. They have a grey, round icon. Additionally they have no driver version / driver listed. Just sort the list by "Driver Description" and your unknown devices will show up at the bottom or top of your list.

Tested on Win 7 x64 and Server 2012 x64 (core).

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:25 PM
  • So my best guess is Microsoft have bought a load of VMware shares. It's the only reason I can think of for them to cripple Hyper-V more than it already is.

We are a Microsoft centric business (nothing unusual there) but you'd have to triple my salary before I would recommend Hyper-V over ESX.

Hyper-V is an utter pain in the butt to do anything with and that's before comparing it to ESX. Don't get me started!

• Proposed as answer by Brain2000 Monday, August 31, 2015 4:53 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 3:47 PM
  • I wish I found this post sooner. I have been troubleshooting and researching the use of Device Manager remotely from a Server 2012 R2 VM in order to manage my Windows Server 2012 R2 Core installation.

PowerShell it is, then! And most likely some help from Corefig's "System Information" utility.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:38 PM
  • I had to do this on Windows Server 2012 R2
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:13 PM
  • This did it.  I had to unblock the files and add another .NET 4.5 Windows Feature "NET-Framework-45-ASPNET"

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Any update on this "issue"? Did Microsoft fix this so the GUI side works, or are we left in the dark?

Monday, June 30, 2014 10:08 PM
  • This is the answer to your problem with device management in hyperv 2012 r2

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

IGood luck with it.

• Proposed as answer by T4X Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:06 AM
  • Apparently you can no longer access Device Manager remotely starting in Windows Server 2012.  Hyper-V Server 2012 is based on the Server Core version of Server 2012.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2781106

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:44 PM
  • So it is like 3 years now and the f0@#$$! M$ has still not solved this mess, but managed to admit their fail oficialy via MS Bulletin, in removing another remote management GUI feature (which somehow was leveraging them before rest providers...) . If i was to use Hypervisors with only BASHES, then I would still skip this M$ Buggy Hyper-V Core product line (it would be like my 123213 choice) and would bring an Openstack with KVM computing nodes  ... with SIC APIs ... before thinking for any M$ SC(VMM) MPC ... ahhhhhh... I'm really annoyed of this ..
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:16 PM
  • DerBachmannRocker!  Thanks!  This is an old thread but your solution worked for me on a 2016 Core as well.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:12 PM
  • Hi i found this threat at Google and i have the same issus with HYper-V Server 2016. Its take a lot of time for me to find a solution.

Here my:

Is no longer possible from Server 2012 R2 to newer Version...

Download a external program copy it to the hard drive of the HV or Core Server and then open it in the console local or via remote desktop at the terminal.
    This is possible with Total Commander or HWinfo64.
    Link: https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Then download driver for the device and start setup or install inf via commandline.

best regards
    AS

• Proposed as answer by PaulaMEDL Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:48 PM
    • Edited by general4748 Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:52 PM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:47 PM