none
wbadmin start backup -templateId:{...

Question

• Hi,
    when I schedule a full backup on windows 2008 I find in the task scheduler following Action:

... wbadmin.exe start backup -templateId:{...GUID...} -quiet

I wonder what the option -templateId means. I tried on another machine and got a different GUID.
    I wolud like to start the backup with a batch command and wanted to know if I have to use the -templateId option or not.

Thanks Franco
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Franco,

the -templateId option is an internal option avaliable only for a scheduled backup configuration done from backup clients (wbadmin.exe, wbadmin.msc). If you want to have an adhoc backup command for batch scripts, use the commands avaliable from "wbadmin.exe /?"

More information on the usage of wbadmin for batch scripts is avaliable on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx

Thanks, Abhinav Mathur [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Franco,

the -templateId option is an internal option avaliable only for a scheduled backup configuration done from backup clients (wbadmin.exe, wbadmin.msc). If you want to have an adhoc backup command for batch scripts, use the commands avaliable from "wbadmin.exe /?"

More information on the usage of wbadmin for batch scripts is avaliable on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx

Thanks, Abhinav Mathur [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

i have another more specific question for the -templateId option: how to find out which syntax is stored behind the used templateId or the {...GUID...}
    i would like to modificate it - ya, i know i can use my own command in batch scripts or however but i won't loose the entries from the scheduled backup at the WSB Console

sounds still useless - i know :) but i will explain detailed what's my goal:

a scheduled backup creates a target subfolder which is named according to the date and time the backup was made - in simple words: i want to get rid of this to get constant access to the .vhd file generated by the backup.

Could someone please give me advice how to reach this goal, i can image there will be a more easier way too

Thanks, Chris

Saturday, November 06, 2010 10:08 AM
  • The same question: how to find out which syntax is stored behind the used templateId?
    ----- Lukas -----
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:10 AM
  • I want to know too. I need to run exact the same template on another server.
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:43 PM
  • I want to know too! - BR Mathis

The initial question was "Waht are behind the template id ? and how to modify or copy it?

Please someone from MS may anser.

BR

Mathis Marth

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:30 PM
  • I actually have the same question, where is the template stored? Can it be edited?
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:11 PM
  • What you are really asking is whether you can create a more flexible script to do what the "templateid" setting in wbadmin is doing.

The answer is yes, it took me a while to figure this out, so I'll share it here:

-  First, create a backup through the UI and perform the backup.

-  Second, inspect the backup to see what was backed up.  To do this, first list your backups:

wbadmin get versions

Find the backup of interest, and list its contents by supplying the timestamp from the above command output; for example:

wbadmin get items -version:06/22/2014-08:00 

This will list all of the items backed up, mount points, etc.

-- Finally, consult with the wbadmin reference, and duplicate your tempated backup's functionality.  Here is the reference page for wbadmin: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742083.aspx

Here is the backup command I came up with, given the above procedure.  Note that for unmounted system volumes, you provide the volume GUID instead of the driver letter; for VMs you specify host VM name:

Wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\ServerName\ShareName -include:\\?\Volume{123abc4d-5f67-88a1-99b2-102c3d4e5678}\,c:,d: -allCritical -systemState -hyperv:vmName -quiet

Happy scripting!  I needed to do this because I wanted the destination server for backups to vary weekly.

• Edited by Zaxxonal Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:53 PM
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Did anybody actually find out where the template is stored, and how it can be modified.

Basically the backups are broken due to the system being UEFI, and apparently the fix is to backup without the -allcritical option.

Id prefer to modify the template, so the helpdesk operatives can continue to use the Backup GUI as designed and intended. 

Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:40 PM