none
Internal switch reset to public network profile after each reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've created an internal switch with NAT (Windows 10 Pro for Workstation, OS Build 17763.529) and added to the switch some VMs. I set the profile to private using Power Shell, in order to allow the host and the guests to see each other. The internal switch is bundled with the Default Switch as Unidentified network, and executing the Power Shell command on it changes the Default Switch's network profile to private too.

But after reboot the profiles of Default Switch and the internal switch are reset to Public. Changing the Networks List Manager Policies of Unidentified network to private with secpol.msc leads to problems in the creation of the Default Switch on startup.

Is there a way to preserve the Internal Switch private status after reboot, without having to execute the Set-NetConnectionProfile every time?

Thanks for your help, Marco

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi, I've created an internal switch with NAT (Windows 10 Pro for Workstation, OS Build 17763.529) and added to the switch some VMs. I set the profile to private using Power Shell, in order to allow the host and the guests to see each other. The internal switch is bundled with the Default Switch as Unidentified network, and executing the Power Shell command on it changes the Default Switch's network profile to private too.

But after reboot the profiles of Default Switch and the internal switch are reset to Public. Changing the Networks List Manager Policies of Unidentified network to private with secpol.msc leads to problems in the creation of the Default Switch on startup.

Is there a way to preserve the Internal Switch private status after reboot, without having to execute the Set-NetConnectionProfile every time?

Thanks for your help, Marco

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:05 PM
  • You've asked in windows server forums, while there are some similarities windows server does not have a default switch. You'll reach more windows 10 (desktop) Hyper-V experts over here in dedicated forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprovirt

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:18 PM
  • Thanks Dave, I asked in the forum you suggested.

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 27, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Thanks for your support Michael. The internal switch InterfaceIndex changes every time the PC reboot, although it retains the static IP configuration I've set. The external switch that is bound to a network adapter has always the same InterfaceIndex and the network profile remains private.

Best regards, Marco

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

For now, I still couldn't find any clue, I'm afraid you might need to contact  Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Thanks for your effort Michael.

Best regards, Marco

Friday, June 7, 2019 10:04 AM
  • You're welcome.

Thanks for your sharing and support.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, June 7, 2019 10:51 AM