none
Visual Studio keeps losing connection to team foundation server

Question

• Hello All

We have a small setup at our office with one desktop hosting our internal domain, one hyper-v inside that computer hosting our development machine and one desktop for our developer. Our team foundation server has been set up on the development (hyper-v) machine and our developer connects to it through visual studio 2010 through his desktop.

Now the problem is that our developer sometimes complain about the team foundation server sometimes getting disconnected from his visual studio and then automatically coming back online after a few minutes. During this time he loses connection to the database as well (also hosted on the hyper-v machine). I am guessing this could be some issue with DNS not able to resolve properly but can't seem to figure out what or where I might be wrong.

Under DNS settings on each computer our primary DNS is the IP address of the machine hosting the domain and alternate one is our ISP's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sajat Jain

Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:50 AM

Answers

• See if there are any errors generated in the event viewer, both on user machine and TFS. That might give you some clue on the situation.

Also, remove alternate DNS IP on user PCs. You should use IP provided from ISP as a  forwarder IP in DNS server instead of specifying that as an alternate IP on user machines.

Configure a DNS Server to Use Forwarders

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754941.aspx

Press any key... What the ... Where's any key ?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

About Me ?

• Marked as answer by Sajat Jain Monday, July 09, 2012 5:46 AM
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:21 AM

All replies

• See if there are any errors generated in the event viewer, both on user machine and TFS. That might give you some clue on the situation.

Also, remove alternate DNS IP on user PCs. You should use IP provided from ISP as a  forwarder IP in DNS server instead of specifying that as an alternate IP on user machines.

Configure a DNS Server to Use Forwarders

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754941.aspx

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

About Me ?

• Marked as answer by Sajat Jain Monday, July 09, 2012 5:46 AM
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Thanks I will update here when the issue occurs again.

And for the forwarder settings, the DNS's were already there so I just removed the alternate DNS's from the desktops. Please check the image below to see if I have done something wrong.

Thanks

Sajat Jain

Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Forwarders looks OK to me.

About Me ?

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Removing the alternate DNS seems to have resolved our problem. No disconnect since thursday. Thanks for the help Santosh!!
    Monday, July 09, 2012 5:47 AM
  • My pleasure :-)

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

About Me ?

Monday, July 09, 2012 5:51 AM