Storage Pool Media Type Unknown RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a tiered virtual disk with Windows Server 2012 R2.  I can successfully create pools; however the option to "Create storage tiers on this virtual disk" requires at least one SSD and one HDD.  My WD-red 3TB drives are reported as media type "Unknown"; neither SSD or HDD.  Seagate drives added to the pool correctly report themselves as media type HDD, but so far all of the WD drives report media type as Unknown.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is this an issue with Server 2012 R2 or Western Digital?  Is there a way to force the media type to HDD or tell the virtual disk drive to treat the drive as type HDD so the tiered SSD can properly cache it?

Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:00 PM

Answers

• Yes, you must choose right disk, and this disk must be already a member of storage pool:

Get-PhysicalDisk
    $disks = Get-PhysicalDisk |? {$_.CanPool -eq $true}
    New-StoragePool -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName *Spaces* -FriendlyName TieredPool -PhysicalDisks $disks
    Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName TieredPool | Get-PhysicalDisk | Select FriendlyName, MediaType
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk1 -MediaType SSD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk5 -MediaType SSD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk6 -MediaType SSD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk2 -MediaType HDD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk3 -MediaType HDD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk4 -MediaType HDD
    $ssd_tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -MediaType SSD
    $hdd_tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -MediaType HDD
    $vd1 = New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName VirtualMachines -StorageTiers @($ssd_tier, $hdd_tier) -StorageTierSizes @(30GB, 1.1TB) -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -WriteCacheSize 5GB
    $vd2 = New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName HD -Size 30TB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -ProvisioningType Thin -WriteCacheSize 20GB
    Set-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName HD -WriteCacheSize 21GB

I think, that now it's clear, and you must only modify this commands to fill your needs.
    Monday, July 1, 2013 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the command is:

At this time it's undocumented feature.. It'll be published in couple of weeks.

• Proposed as answer by VR38DETTMVP Saturday, January 9, 2016 8:20 PM
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Thank you, however when running the command but getting the error below.  Am I doing something wrong?

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk1 -MediaType HDD -Verbose
    Set-PhysicalDisk : Not Supported
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk1 -MediaType HDD -Verbose
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/..._StorageCmdlets) [Set-PhysicalDisk], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 1,Set-PhysicalDisk

Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:09 PM
  • Yes, you must choose right disk, and this disk must be already a member of storage pool:

Get-PhysicalDisk
    $disks = Get-PhysicalDisk |? {$_.CanPool -eq $true}
    New-StoragePool -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName *Spaces* -FriendlyName TieredPool -PhysicalDisks $disks
    Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName TieredPool | Get-PhysicalDisk | Select FriendlyName, MediaType
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk5 -MediaType SSD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk6 -MediaType SSD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk2 -MediaType HDD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk3 -MediaType HDD
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk4 -MediaType HDD
    $ssd_tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -MediaType SSD
    $hdd_tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -MediaType HDD
    $vd1 = New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName VirtualMachines -StorageTiers @($ssd_tier, $hdd_tier) -StorageTierSizes @(30GB, 1.1TB) -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -WriteCacheSize 5GB
    $vd2 = New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName HD -Size 30TB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -ProvisioningType Thin -WriteCacheSize 20GB
    Set-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName HD -WriteCacheSize 21GB

I think, that now it's clear, and you must only modify this commands to fill your needs.
    Monday, July 1, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Thank you. That did the trick.  It will be good when the Server 2012 R2 preview documentation provides as much information as your last note!

I now need a second SSD since it appears it will not let blocks from one tier mirror with blocks from another tier - which I would have thought could work for cache purposes.  Not a major problem. Thanks again!

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:20 PM
  • The documentation is very poor..but it's preview, so we should understand.

Another useful informations are:

• It's possible to make tiered virtual disk from Server Manager (GUI), but the tiers must be already defined.
    • It's possible to determine MediaType of physical disk from Server Manager (GUI), but it's not possible to change it
    • If you have defined tiers, Server Manager (GUI) will make virtual disk with write back cache, but this cache is only 1GB large and in wizard is no option to change size of this cache. Also is not possible to disable write back cache from wizard.
    • After virtual disk creation isn't possible to change size of write back cache.
    • Tiered virtual disk can be only simple or mirror. Parity is not possible.
    • For mirrored tiered virtual disk you need at least four physical disks (2xSSD+2xHDD).
    • It's possible to have write back cache for all types of virtual disks (Simple, Mirror, Parity).
    • At this time, exist only two types of storage tiers - SSD and HDD. But the architecture allows future expansion like: HDD5400, HDD7200, HDD10000, HDD15000, SSDLOW, SSDMID, SSDENT. But I think, that simplicity is sometimes important.
    • Tiered virtual disk must be always fixed. Thin provisioning is not possible.
    • For SMB and Power Home Users and Labs can be good way to use RAID. You can have 2x250GB SSD and 3x4TB HDD. You can create RAID1 20GB on SSD's for operating system. Other disks can be simle volumes. After that, you can create tiered virtual disk for Virtual Machines (Mirror) - 100GB on SSD + 300GB on HDD + write back cache 5GB; normal virtual disk for HD films - non-tiered, parity, 30TB, thin provisioned, with 30GB write back cache; etc etc.

I'll test performance of parity virtual disk with write back cache. I think, that can solve many problems. I'll also test performance of rebuilding.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Jiří , where will you be posting your results?  Do you have a blog?
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:36 PM