none
Can contents of \windows\servicepackfiles\amd64 be deleted on a W2K3 64 bit OS running on an Intel processor? RRS feed

• Question

• In performing some disk cleanup work on one of my servers, which runs 64 bit Windows Server 2003 SP2 std ed on an Intel processor, I came across the fact that the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles directory contains three subdirectories: i386, servicepackcache and amd64. The contents of the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\amd64 directory total 0.5 GB (527.3 MB).

I can’t believe for the life of me that amd64 files would be necessary on an Intel processor system – in fact, I’m startled that whatever installed them there wasn’t smart enough to look at the target processor and install only what’s needed. Seems to me that be I should be able to get rid of this directory and all its contents, and free up 0.5 GB. Am I missing something here?

Regards,

John Fishbeck
    Michigan State University Physical Plant
    East Lansing MI
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:42 PM

Answers

• The files in the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ location are there to be used primarily by windows system file checker in the event that something was wrong with a windows file.  There are also other situations where they would be used though.  One example of that would be if you ever decided to virtualize this box to VMWare the Converter utility uses files inside of that directory.  It is important that you do not delete them.

The amd64 folder contains 64bit files for the operating system (that is the folder name used on the install media itself as well).  There is not a different folder for Intel based systems.

Nick Smoke ACTC, CCA, CNE, MCSE
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 8:29 AM