none
Removable Storage Service

Question

• Hi,
    I seem to be encountering a problem with the removable storage service on windows small businness server 2003, the service seems to stop running which results in the backup not completing.. when i go in and restart the service the backup will complete for that day but the removable storage service will stop again and backup will fail for the following day until i restart it again.. anyone got any ideas what may be the problem?
    Thanks in advance for any help..
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:21 AM

Answers

• If all else fails, you can start the service if your backup software supports pre backup scripts and add something like this...

net start "removable storage"

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:00 AM
  • Hello

How long have you had this problem? Was there any special action taken recently that may have caused this error?

There are some steps you can take to check if this svolves the issue.
    First of all, check that the service "Remote Procedure Call" is running aswell, as this is one of the dependencies of the Removable Storage service.
    Second of all, check that the account both services is trying to use is correct.
     - Start -> Run... -> services.msc -> Right click the services and chose "properties"
     - Check the tab "Log on" that it uses "local system account" or another account with administrative rights.

You can also try to change them from start manually to start automatically, however this may cause reduced performance on the server.

Official Microsoft article discussing this issue.

Hope this was of some use!

~ Axel Aubert
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hello

How long have you had this problem? Was there any special action taken recently that may have caused this error?

There are some steps you can take to check if this svolves the issue.
    First of all, check that the service "Remote Procedure Call" is running aswell, as this is one of the dependencies of the Removable Storage service.
    Second of all, check that the account both services is trying to use is correct.
     - Start -> Run... -> services.msc -> Right click the services and chose "properties"
     - Check the tab "Log on" that it uses "local system account" or another account with administrative rights.

You can also try to change them from start manually to start automatically, however this may cause reduced performance on the server.

Official Microsoft article discussing this issue.

Hope this was of some use!

~ Axel Aubert
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:42 AM
  • If all else fails, you can start the service if your backup software supports pre backup scripts and add something like this...

net start "removable storage"

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:00 AM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the help, I have now put a scheduled task in place which restarts the removable storage service if it has stopped 2 mins before backup is scheduled to start, and it seems to be working at the moment,so hopefully it will continue working..
    Regards
    Friday, June 27, 2008 8:32 AM