none
Computer accounts failing

Question

• Users are unable to logon to thier pc's randomly at 1 site in our organization.  The user gets a message that either the domain is unavailable or Windows can not connect to the domain.  The event viewer on the DC at this site shows the computer account is failing with netlogon error 5722

The session setup from the computer WMTLADM12 failed to authenticate. The name(s) of the account(s) referenced in the security database is WMTLADM12$. The following error occurred:

Access is denied.

The event viewer also logs netlogon error 5805

The session setup from the computer WMTLADM14 failed to authenticate. The following error occurred:

Access is denied.

and Netlogon error 5723

The session setup from computer 'WMTLADM14' failed because the security database does not contain a trust account 'WMTLADM14$' referenced by the specified computer.

This happens to 1 or 2 different machines every day.

We need to remove the PC from the domain change it's name and then re-join.  This turn out to be a temporary fix.

Please Help!

Thanks

-Jim

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Jim,

First, please run "dcdiag" and "netdiag" on the DC to confirm that there is no errors in the Active Directory Domain Service.

According to your description that the computers have been renamed and re-joined, please check whether there are any duplicate Host A Records with the same IP Address for clients in the domain DNS zone. If there is, try to delete the duplicate ones and check how it works.

Meanwhile, could you please send me the Directory Service MPS report?

About MPS report:

-----------------------

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting to get more information about our computer situation. This tool facilitates the gathering of critical system and logging information used in troubleshooting support issues. After this tool stops automatically, navigate to the folder " %SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\DirSvc\Logs " and please send all these files back to me.

You can get this tool from the link:

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools (MPSRPT_DirSvc.EXE)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

You can also get more information about how to use it in the same page (the readme.txt)

-----------------------

Please send the MPS report CAB file to tfwst@microsoft.com

Note:

a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3235386&SiteID=17

Miles Li - MSFT

b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

c. Pease post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:58 AM

All replies

• Check time syncronization between your dc's and clients. Also check that your DC's are in good shape with dcdiag and Sonar.

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Hello Jim,

First, please run "dcdiag" and "netdiag" on the DC to confirm that there is no errors in the Active Directory Domain Service.

According to your description that the computers have been renamed and re-joined, please check whether there are any duplicate Host A Records with the same IP Address for clients in the domain DNS zone. If there is, try to delete the duplicate ones and check how it works.

Meanwhile, could you please send me the Directory Service MPS report?

About MPS report:

-----------------------

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting to get more information about our computer situation. This tool facilitates the gathering of critical system and logging information used in troubleshooting support issues. After this tool stops automatically, navigate to the folder " %SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\DirSvc\Logs " and please send all these files back to me.

You can get this tool from the link:

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools (MPSRPT_DirSvc.EXE)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

You can also get more information about how to use it in the same page (the readme.txt)

-----------------------

Please send the MPS report CAB file to tfwst@microsoft.com

Note:

a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3235386&SiteID=17

Miles Li - MSFT

b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

c. Pease post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Miles Li – MSFT said:

Hello Jim,

Hi Miles,
    i have this problem seriously on some clients as well... may i know whether any outcome you worked in above issue?
    and you mentioned that DNS zone A record is one thing we need to check. is there any relationship between this A record of old object and joining the computer back to AD with same hostname?

previously i thought it might be a domain replication issue but have no more clues to prove this...
    wondering your expertise to help me continue on the troubleshooting...
    thanks!

Monday, November 10, 2008 1:06 AM