none
IPv6 Windows Server Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any plans/timelines to enable Windows activation using IPv6?

We're running an isolated IPv6 test network - and it's a bit of a pain to keep phone activating all the servers I'm building.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Gavin,

KMS do support for ipv6 and it is the enterprise solution for activation rather the conventional method of activation. Major Banks / educational sectors have already migrated to KMS activation model

May be because of the fact IPV4 is still preferred network for clients - MS hasn't made any changes to activation model ( old way ) but would try to get more info

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

until now I didn't hear anything about pure IPv6 activation or windows update options from Microsoft.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:54 PM
  • +1, WIndows activation still uses ipv4

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:29 PM
  • Hello,

until now I didn't hear anything about pure IPv6 activation or windows update options from Microsoft.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

So no-one has any inside knowledge regarding Microsoft's IPv6 plans? Especially for Activation? I know it currently uses IPv4 only :)

I've now read that KMS may be the way forward, as Microsoft's own tests claim this works OK with IPv6 (from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc511492.aspx)

To accommodate the large increase in KMS clients, Microsoft IT installed two additional KMS hosts on domain controllers in the core network's root forest domain, bringing the total number of KMS hosts to four. One of these KMS hosts was a server running Windows Server 2003.This server supported 25 percent of the KMS clients with no issues. Additionally, one of these KMS hosts was dedicated solely to IP version 6 (IPv6) KMS clients and proviced no support for IP version 4 (IPv4). Microsoft IT found no difference in the operation or performance of this KMS host, and it found no problems with the activation of KMS clients that were running IPv6.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Hi Gavin,

KMS do support for ipv6 and it is the enterprise solution for activation rather the conventional method of activation. Major Banks / educational sectors have already migrated to KMS activation model

May be because of the fact IPV4 is still preferred network for clients - MS hasn't made any changes to activation model ( old way ) but would try to get more info

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Hi Gavin,

Thanks Sainath,

I work for a University - and we do volume license via KMS on our main network - it's just this isolated IPv6 test network is smaller in scale, and would preferably use Technet licensing (as it's a test environment). 

I'd be interested to hear any future plans, as eventually we'll be running a pure IPv6 site (a good few years away yet though!)

Cheers.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Totally understand , will update you on this once I hear back from MS
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:59 PM